Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2016 23:00

Vostro 460 graphics card upgrade

Hello,

I have a Vostro 460 and I wanted to upgrade the graphics card. I just bought a Gygabye with nVidia GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 card assuming it was going to work fine on this PC. Wrong assumption. It simply does not boot. It displays the initial POST but it doesn't go past it.

This video card is PCI-e 2.0. I tried to check prior to the purchase the PCI-e version of the Vostro's motherboard and with big effort I found in one the posts of this forum that it's 2.0 (it doesn't say anywhere, motherboard or manuals). Also, the minimum hardware requirements are met: minimum 300W power supply: the stock PSU is 350W. Cool!  But no so cool, it's not working.

The BIOS's firmware is up-to-date. I can't figure out what's the problem as the card is compatible with the motherboard. It should have worked first hand. And I don't think the power is a problem.

Any ideas?
Thank you

March 16th, 2016 21:00

Hi, 

Thanks for writing to us. 

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 420

ATI® Radeon® HD 5450

ATI® Radeon® HD 5670

pci-e cards are tested by Dell and are compatible. GT730 is not tested so cant really comment on the same.

Hope the info helps.

Regards

5 Posts

March 17th, 2016 00:00

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately this is not the type of answer I was expecting. It does not help.
These graphics cards are lower in performance and power than the GT730, and the GT730 is not even half way in the range of current graphics cards. It's the top of the list of PCI-e 2.0. The GT740 is PCI-e 3.0.

My post is more about the reasoning on what makes this board incompatible since the motherbard's PCI-e slot is version 2.0. I don't expect Dell to test every single graphics card or piece of hardware available. If they're made compatible (PCI-e 2.0 in this case) they should work.

One thing to mention is that the GT730 is PCI-e 8x 2.0. Anyway, I have tried this graphics card on 2 other Dell PCs (Vostro 430 and Inspiron) which are older models than the 460 and it works fine on both of them, the computers boot, and I don't think Dell ever tested the GT730 on these models.

Thanks again

March 18th, 2016 00:00

Nice to hear from you..
We have come across few of our users/users who have upgraded the graphics card which are not listed or tested by Dell and they still worked, for few it caused bluescreens/blank screen . May be cause of PSU wattage as well
To keep it safe, we provide the list of card that we vouch to work with particular system models.

5 Posts

March 19th, 2016 11:00

Please can you post an up to date list of modern graphics cards that are known to work with a Vostro 460 with its factory fitted PSU. I was looking at buying the Gt730 but reading this post has put me off! Thanks

No Events found!