Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2013 21:00

Webcam Central on Windows 8

I just got a new XPS 2710 and I can't find my webcam utility.  The manual says to go to Start menu > programs > all programs > Dell Webcam Central.  But I don't have the 'Start' menu like the old windows systems that allow me to access that way so I went straight to computer and opened the "Program Files" folders and did a search on Webcam Central and couldn't find it.  I did a systems check on my video devices and it says it's working fine and I opened the Imaging devices folder and it said it was also working fine so I know it's here, but I don't have a folder or app that will open up the webcam.  Does this mean I have to download Webcam Central?  I thought it would have come with my system, but maybe not?  Any help would be much appreciated ... Please!

3.1K Posts

Hi Lisa.G,

Windows 8 operating system has 'Camera' app. You can access the 'Camera' app from the start screen. In case you are not able to see the 'Camera' app on the start screen, you can download it from 'Windows Store Apps'.

• From the Start screen, click the 'Camera' tile to open the app
  • If the app asks to use your camera and microphone, choose 'Allow'
  • Adjust the settings, if desired
  • To snap a photo, click anywhere on the screen
  • The camera app saves all your snapped photos and videos in a folder called 'Camera Roll' in your Pictures library.

You may refer to the thread by Dell Rockstar RockSt☆r-Rick K on How to enable the camera app in Windows 8 http://dell.to/113GbuE

Please reply if you have any further questions.

3.1K Posts

Hi Lisa.G,

Glad to know the information was helpful. Thank you for the appreciation.

Do reach out in case you need any further assistance.

2 Posts

Thank you so much!  I knew it had to be something simple but couldn't figure it out.  U R awesome :emotion-1:

19 Posts

April 14th, 2013 20:00

Hi DELL-Appu S

I am having a webcam issue and would appreciate your help.  My system is a Dell Inspiron 17-3721 with an integrated webcam and running Windows 8.  The hardware is in good shape and driver in place.  The only thing missing seems to be a piece of software for the webcam.  Suppose I am not going to use the Camera App (as appearing on the Windows 8 Start page), can I just download the Dell Webcam Central software to work the webcam ?  Thank you.

3.1K Posts

April 16th, 2013 05:00

Hi M66,

Yes, if you do not want to use the Webcam app, you can download and install the Dell Webcam Central software. Here is the link http://bit.ly/TjXOwa

Please reply if you have any questions.

19 Posts

April 16th, 2013 13:00

Hi DELL-Appu S

Thank you for the information.  I went to the link as you mentioned :

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dell-sx2210wfp?driverId=N2X8D&osCode=ww1&fileId=3000150678

The page did not say anything about -

Inspiron 17-3721, nor it included Windows 8, 64-bit, any where  <<  and that's what my laptop is.

I just wanted to be 100% certain that the download file name  RC1.1_R230103.exe  is exactly what my webcam on my Inspiron 17-3721 laptop needs.  Please confirm before I proceed to download.   Thank you.

On the side, please also explain the difference between the Camera App and the Dell Webcam Central SW, perhaps in terms of software efficiency in general, and CPU usage for each.  Appreciate it.

3.1K Posts

April 17th, 2013 08:00

Hi M66,

You can download and install Webcam Central application from the link provided in my previous post. This is common for most of the Dell products. Webcam Central was a standard application shipped with Windows Vista and 7.

Windows 8 is a new operating system with the concept of apps. Hence, Webcam Central is not shipped any more. But, you should still be able to use Dell Webcam Central if not satisfied with Camera app.

I would not be able to comment on the CPU usage; however, webcam's does affect the CPU much.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

January 8th, 2014 13:00

How can I get a legitimate copy of Webcam Central?

3 Posts

January 8th, 2014 13:00

When I click Start the 'Camera' I get a message that the camera is not working.

How do I get the correct camera app?

2 Posts

March 26th, 2015 15:00

hii am having a problem opening my webcam it is a Trust product .my problem is that it works ok on skype but i cannot open it directly to my screen .when i go to the camera app it says add a camera but it is already plugged in and as far as i know setup or surely it would not work on Skype ..help!!!!!!!!!!!

No Events found!