Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2013 14:00

What is the size of the fan on the Dell Inspiron 660?

Okay guys, recently I was lucky enough to order the 2TB/1 GB Dedicated GPU/Core i5 Dell Inspirion 660 desktop here . I am looking to change up the fan to add some lighting inside the system, and after trying to talk to various and various dell representatives and calling several numbers, no one was able to help. 

Does any one know the size of the Inspiron 660 fan?? I believe it has to be 80mm or 120mm. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's also surprising, I looked at the technical PDF for this desktop, and there was no mention of the specific details on individual components..

893 Posts

Just take a ruler or measuring tape and check between 2 screws across the fan from outside. 120 mm fans fit only medium to large cases, you have Mini.

26 Posts

If the case is only designed for a 92mm fan, I guess you can't go higher than that and try to fit it in? I just find it insane that I got an amazing 120mm fan, great price + features, and it's cheaper than the similar priced 92mm fans >_>

26 Posts

The chassis fan is 92mm? Ugh, I will have to return the one I have and reorder.

893 Posts

Exhaust 92 mm, CPU cooler 90-92 mm.

Your case is like my Ispiron 570, sizes all the same, inside panels are different.

893 Posts

I was able to fit 2 80mm fans as intake in the front with mixed results (but you are not going to see them). This is about it. Oh, if you decide to upgrade your power supply you can buy one with the blue light (Corsair)...

26 Posts

January 7th, 2013 15:00

I haven't received the desktop yet, I'm trying to buy all the components before it arrives so I can install all at once.

I have already purchased a new 520w PSU, and some other components. I'm confused though, how were you able to install 2 80 mm fans?? I'm very very curious, could you perhaps show me a picture so I can try to do the same? I only see 1 spot for 1 fan on the back, which I suppose is the exhaust , but I do not see fitting any other fans inside the case without gluing it on the side of the case (where the cover has holes)

Another random question, I did end up buying the 650 ti 1 GB GPU, and after some research I found out that this desktop only has PCI 1.0, but PCI 3.0 GPU's are backward compatible. Do you think I will experience any problems?

26 Posts

I was able to get off tech support on dell, and surprisingly enough, they said the size of the fan is 80mm only, not 92 O_O.

893 Posts

And the same Inspiron 570 in Cooler Master HAF 912 case......

893 Posts

if you have mini tower the exhaust fan is most likely 92 mm, our Ispirons share very similar cases. 80mm could be on small factor case. I was able to install 2 80 mm fans on the front mesh around the power switch, let me show you.

Those (80 mm fans) are under front plastic panel, they help somewhat, but not great. You know, I modernized my Inspiron 570 well beyond Dell's imagination, so I had to fight for every possibility to lower temperatures inside the case.

And here you can see the glowing blue light from power supply, and also can see my fan assembly.... Those are 92 mm fans. No offense to Dell technicians, but I think they are wrong in this case.

26 Posts

January 7th, 2013 16:00

Actually this is the latest info, privatepaste.com/3b9d564771. Updated the case fan details

26 Posts

January 7th, 2013 16:00

I will return my 120mm fan, and get a 80mm since they were confident. After I get my desktop, I will try to take off the front plastic portion and see what I can fit there. If 80 is too small, no big deal, I will just orders a bigger one. Also I can attach the stock fan on the cover case where the mini holes reside, and see what I can do there.

As for the HAF 912 case, how were you able to fit all your ports/card reader etc? Did the motherboard you got with the stock inspiron fit? My desktop has 4 USB 3.0's, 4 USB 2.0's, 1 HDMI, 1, DVI, 1 VGA, 8-in-1 card reader. The HAF 912 case didn't seem to have enough to support it, not to mention I have no idea if my motherboard will properly fit etc.

Another question for you, I see you have a MSI 550 TI, is it a PCI 3.0? What does your motherboard support up to? Mine seems to only have 1.0 for some reason, which comes with a PCI 2.0 GPU. I will be getting a GeForce GTX 650 ti 1 GB PCI 3.0.

Here is my current setup so far, after I install the components I bought.

privatepaste.com/77ec64c974

Thank you for all your help so far, I really appreciate it. It's just unfortunate dell doesn't keep important info like this public, on top of that I'm happy I got a great deal on my desktpp but problem is the motherboard + case is keeping me from customizing it further.

26 Posts

January 7th, 2013 17:00

Here is the owners manual:

support.dell.com/.../om_en.pdf

I tried searching for nicer cases to accommodate EVERYTHING I have, but no avail. Like I showed you, I couldn't find a case which supported 4x USB 2.0, 4x USB 3.0, 1 HDMI, and a 8-in-1 card reader.

As for the GTX 650 TI, I got that because of the price and the reviews I saw on youtube for it. Many people were able to play games on high or even ultra, so that is pretty good. Guess it really depends on the particular game.

26 Posts

That list I gave you, is everything I either have or will be getting. The desktop in particular I do not have yet, along with the GPU, usb 3.0 hub, 80mm fan I just ordered (which I can always return). Everything else on that list I own currently, Including the PSU, monitors, LED lighting etc.

Actually do you have MSN messenger/yahoo/gmail/skype? I use trillian so it would be easier to talk on there ;)

893 Posts

Slow down with exhaust fans, I still not sure about 80 mm exhaust one! Since my motherboard did not have 3.0 USB I did not care much about them. Also, I have PCI E 2.0 or 2.2, so you have at least this or even PCI Express 3.0 (in addition to regular PCI 1.0, not express ones). I guess I would have to look for your manuals now. Also, you can choose different case to accommodate all your wishes! Actually slow down a bit with getting extra parts, as I need time to verify if your wishful components will work.

And lastly, is sky is the limit for you - your budget in some ways has no limitations (well to the point)? 650 TI is the beginning of the line model, if you want to play your games at least on high (with reasonable FPS), you need at least 660 TI.  

893 Posts

What current motherboard (if you are already have it), processor and RAM your 660 has? Or at least what you ordered? The link you provided, I presume is your wish list, am I correct?

No Events found!