Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2017 07:00

Whitish screen when waking up; have to restart. Dell Inspiron.

Problem started within last couple weeks. After computer goes to sleep, when you try and wake it you get a mostly white screen but with many vertical lines of green, yellow, and magenta. You can move the mouse (cursor is now a slightly lighter square) but can't wake computer no matter what I try. have to do a hard restart; sometimes starts normally, other times Windows does a self-repair. Any ideas? 

Larry

4 Posts

October 18th, 2017 10:00

Greetings Ron,

It is not about authorship but community.   Thank you for your service to this community.

I followed your post of Oct 15, so while your post did suggest a rollback it was only after a system restore.  At this point, with the advantage of experience, I believe it would be beneficial to suggest the path of least resistance first. (A driver rollback before suggesting a complete restore point, which in my case did not restore the original driver and did not fix the problem).  IMHO, I believe this thread would best be served if you edit/modify your post to consider the rollback option before a restore. Feel free to copy or improve on any of my post which you find beneficial.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 18th, 2017 17:00

Download and install this Intel video driver from Dell's support page for the Inspiron 3650 and then reboot. See if that solves the problem.

www.dell.com/.../driversdetails

NOTE: If you don't have a 3650, make sure your system is on the list of Compatible Systems on that page before installing this driver.

And for the record, this problem is entirely Intel's fault. They released a buggy video driver through Windows Update that is causing this problem on almost any PC where it gets installed. Hopefully, Windows Update will stop pushing it on users automatically...

9.4K Posts

October 12th, 2017 09:00

Hi madsquopper, 

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to answer your question without knowing what model Inspiron you have and the Operating System you're using,

October 12th, 2017 13:00

It's an Inspiron 3650 running Windows 10 Home (Premium?). We bought it last December.

1 Message

October 12th, 2017 18:00

I am having the same issue, 3650 , I just tried to wake my machine after a few days. Same exact issue you are having. Hope to see an answer soon.  

9.4K Posts

October 13th, 2017 05:00

Here is some information that may be helpful:  http://dell.to/2ylAnSR

2 Posts

October 13th, 2017 16:00

Fine.

2 Posts

I also have almost the same issue (and same PC), which started about 3 days ago. Except it seems to be the whole PC, not just the monitor. I have to do a manual Power Down (hold button for 4 seconds), then restart. I had the time before "sleep" set at 3 hrs, so the problem would occur the next morning. Windows support wanted me to set that option back to the default (10 minutes). I did, so now the problem occurs much sooner! I certainly hope Windows comes thru with another update.

Added a screenshot of the screen; this is acloseup; it's actually pretty white but with the stripes. Looked at that link; didn't have much info for Windows 10. On another thread there was a sequence of steps where you went into device manager and turned off sleep for USB root ports (and more) and then tweak the advanced power settings but that didn't work either. Meanwhile, here's some additional info after testing a bit more:

After I get the white screen, the computer has actually come out of sleep mode but neither the mouse nor the keyboard is completely functional. All the mouse can do is move the cursor (which is now a big square) around he screen. All I could get the keyboard to do was put the computer back to sleep using the Fn sleep key, but nothing else seems to work.

So for now I've disabled sleep in the power setting (but still turn the monitors off) but hoping to find a solution eventually. This may have happened after the last round of Dell updates which was arounf the same time the problem cropped up, so if they had a buggy update perhaps it will be fixed in a subsequent update.

1 Attachment

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

What video card do you have, and what port on the PC are you using to connect to the monitor, HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI...?

What Power plan options did you tweak?

Are you talking about a recent Dell driver update or a Windows update? Manually set a System Restore point, to be safe, and then go into Device Manager, find the listing for your video card and roll back the driver to the previous version. Reboot afterwards and let PC go to sleep. Note: It's always a good idea to back up personal files on external media before doing a System Restore.

Have you gone into BIOS setup and tweaked the sleep settings? (Do NOT change anything else in BIOS setup!)

1 Message

October 14th, 2017 21:00

I have exact same problem. Dell Inspiron 3650 i5 using the oldish display connector labeled VGA IN (rather than the HDMI or DVI).  Are there instructions somewhere manually setting a System Restore? I am running Windows 10.

On your last sentence, what do you recommend tweaking the sleep settings to? How do you go into the BIOS settings? Is this an alternative thing to try if the first one (roll back to previous video card driver) doesn't work?  I suspect it's associated with a recent Dell driver update, or a Windows update, because this problem happened to two of our computers at the same time, both Dell Inspiron 3650's with Windows 10.  It didn't happen on our other two computers which have Windows 10 but are not Dell Inspirons.  Also, when I hooked up another brand of monitor to the same VGA cable on one of the Dell Inspirons, the same problem was happening, so it isn't the monitor.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 15th, 2017 13:00

In Win 10, right-click the Start button and search for System Restore. You should find a link for "Create a Restore Point". You should find a button to create a Restore Point on the C: (boot drive).  Don't forget to back up your personal files on external media too.

Now open Device Manager and expand the list under Display Adapters.  You'll probably see 2 adapters, either AMD or NVidia (assuming you have an add-in video card) and Intel Graphics. Double-click on the AMD/NVidia entry, whichever you have, and in next box click the Driver tab. There should be a button to  Roll Back Driver. Click that and when it's finished, reboot. Let PC go to sleep and see if the problem is fixed.

If not fixed after rolling back the AMD/NVidia driver, go back into Device Manager and roll back the Intel Graphics Driver, reboot and test waking from sleep again..

NOTE: Even if this fixes the problem, it may recur if Dell's update software or Windows Update automatically updates the video driver again. In that case, you may need to disable automatic updates, at least until the driver is fixed.

4 Posts

October 16th, 2017 13:00

Larry,

Thank you so much for sharing this and the pic...  I have the exact same thing which also started about the same time as you.  I suspect is is a driver or Window update.  It seems to only occurs when the PC times out and goes into sleep mode, not when locked and re-opened (at least not immediately)  

I am running :  Inspiron 3250, W10(64bit) Professional, with Intel(R) HD Grahics 530 card in dual screen mode (HDMI and VGA).

My troubleshooting has followed this path:

I have run Windows Troubleshooting and restored my video to standard settings.

I have run a restore point to an earlier time.

I am now looking for Intel Graphics driver for before September about 2 months ago.

I will likely play with the screen settings (single vs dual and resolution) to see if that makes a difference.

Lets keep this thread going until resolved.

October 16th, 2017 17:00

The problem PC is an Inspiron 3650 with the basic Intel HD internal graphics. Also have a small footprint Inspiron 3252, same graphics, bought several months later, and haven't had the problem. Going on vacation so will have to check the drivers when I get back, but since it also affects the keyboard and mouse it might be a general update issue.

4 Posts

October 17th, 2017 09:00

SOLVED:  I think this is an elegant solution to the problem Larry and I were having (White Screen after waking from sleep - see pic he posted).  It also appears obvious considering the timing of the issue and the date of our new Intel driver.  The short answer is to simply roll back the Intel driver.

Here is how:

1. From This PC go to Manage

2. From Computer Management select Device Manager

3. Open Display Adapters

4. Double click on Intel HD Graphics 530 (yours may be slightly different) to see the Properties

5. Note the date on your current driver:  Mine was 8/13/2017 (Just about the time I started having this problem)

6. Select Roll Back Driver - This rolled me back to a driver 21.20.16.4542 dated 10/24/2016

My problem was solved!!  

Good Luck and HTH.

PS: For me the bad driver was Intel HD Graphics 530, Version 22.20.16.4771 dated 8/13/2017.

No Events found!