Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 27th, 2007 12:00

Why is there no sound coming through the speakers attached to the monitor?

I have a Dimension 8400 which came with a sub-woofer and 4 separate little loudspeakers.  The monitor also has two loudspeakers mounted under the flat-screen monitor with the volume control in the middle of them, but I have never heard any sound coming from them.  The subwoofer and 4 loudspeakers work fine, but take up a lot of space and tend to get knocked over so are quite frankly far more trouble than they are worth.  I would much prefer to unplug the separate speakers and to use only the ones attached to the monitor.   I assume, however, that I have to have the subwoofer attached as there is a cable coming out of the back of the monitor, so I have attached the cable (with orange end) to the subwoofer, and the subwoofer is plugged into the back of the computer (green, black and yellow ends).  However, I have left the 4 individual loudspeakers (Front L R and Rear L R) unplugged.  All I can get is some not very inspiring sound out of the subwoofer.  There is no sound coming out of the monitor speakers at all.  Are they just there for decoration, having been disabled by the manufacturers because the computer was supplied with the other loudspeakers?  Or is there a fault?  Do I have to have all 4 loudspeakers and the subwoofer plugged in to get the correct sound?  Or is there something I can click on in Windows which will allow me to use only the monitor's speakers?  I've had a look in the Advanced Speaker Settings in the Volume Control menu but I can't seem to make any difference.  I would be grateful if anyone could help.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 27th, 2007 14:00

Not knowing what monitor speakers you have, makes it a little difficult to assist you.

But, the "4.1" speaker system you have is a surround sound system and has it's own power amplifier built into the bass (woofer) speaker. 

Most monitor speaker systems require a separate line directly from the PC (e.g. green speaker connection) and have their own built in power amplifier (any speaker system must have it's own power amplifier as the output from sound cards will not drive speakers directly). 

Try running a cable from the green speaker output on the PC directly to the speaker input on the monitor and see if that works. 

If you want the bass speaker to work it will take some "creativity" to get both working.

2 Posts

April 27th, 2007 19:00

A picture of my speakers, subwoofer and what I believe is called a soundbar is here: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=uk&category_id=4000&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs under "Browse our desktop accessories" and next to "Speakers Enhance the sound...", but I can't actually find the speakers for sale on any of the three pages in the Speakers Section.  The soundbar is located underneath my screen and has two rounded mesh covers over about two-thirds of it - which I presume to be speakers - and a volume control knob with a green light in the middle.  There are three cables in total with two coming out of the back of the screen - one is the power lead, one has a blue screw-in end which attaches with another blue screw-in end to the tower - and the other lead comes out of the soundbar and is non-detachable and goes to the sub-woofer with a screw-in orange connector.  There is nowhere else in the back of the monitor and soundbar to insert any other cables, and as far as I can see the cable that goes to the subwoofer cannot be connected to anything on the back of the computer instead.  In very small letters the monitor claims to be a model E173PF? and the subwoofer says it is a "Home Theater Speaker System model MMS 5650" if that means anything. 

So I suppose that the soundbar HAS to be attached to both the sub-woofer and the 4 Dell loudspeakers, but why does the soundbar appear to have loudspeakers on it if they don't produce any sound?  Could that part of it be faulty, even though the subwoofer and the four little loudspeakers work?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 27th, 2007 21:00

The sound bar is totally independent of your 4.1 speaker system.  You do not have to have any other speaker system for the sound bar to work.  From the Dell descriptions of various sound bar models, they have a built in power amp, just like a speaker system.

4 Posts

July 7th, 2007 02:00

the speaker bar he is talking about is the center speaker for the 5.1 system and the sub is require to power it. if you only want to use that speaker simply unplung the RCA cable going to the other speakers and leave the one for the center speaker (the center speaker uses a serial style cable) and the center speaker is require for the use of the system becuase it is the speaker with the controls on it. hope that helps - I am in need of a dell mms 5650 center speaker -thanks oh yeah that blue cable is the cable that plugs your monitor into the video card it is called a VGA cable.
No Events found!