Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2013 07:00

Will my PSU be able to power this still?

I have an old Dell Dimension 3000 with a 250 W PSU. It's currently running a 3 GHz Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of DDR memory on a Micro ATX board with onboard graphics. Also has one IDE HDD and two IDE ODDs, one CD and the other DVD. I'm planning on swapping out the board for one with SATA connections and pulling in a 2.5 GHz Celeron on socket 1155. I'll be replacing the HDD for one with a SATA Connection and keeping the ODDs and just getting adaptors. So, I'm not adding anything, just swapping old for new. But will my power supply be able to take that?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 20th, 2013 07:00

I have an old Dell Dimension 3000 with a 250 W PSU. It's currently running a 3 GHz Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of DDR memory on a Micro ATX board with onboard graphics. Also has one IDE HDD and two IDE ODDs, one CD and the other DVD. I'm planning on swapping out the board for one with SATA connections and pulling in a 2.5 GHz Celeron on socket 1155. I'll be replacing the HDD for one with a SATA Connection and keeping the ODDs and just getting adaptors. So, I'm not adding anything, just swapping old for new. But will my power supply be able to take that?

futureslay

No.

Socket 1155 motherboards require a P1 24-pin main power connector, the Dimension 3000 power supply only has a P1 20-pin connector.

Therefore you will need to add a power supply to your budget.

You also, need to check which memory is supported be the new motherboard, the Dimension 3000 supports DDR ram, the newer motherboards DDR2, or DDR3.

Bev.

3 Posts

July 20th, 2013 08:00

I meant to mention that I was changing the memory, that is something that I know to do. Just completely forgot to mention it in my post!

Hadn't factored in the pins for the PSU. But, my main question was about the 250 Watts. Should I just play it safe and upgrade the wattage anyway?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 20th, 2013 09:00

futureslay

Yes, as you have to buy a new power supply anyway, best to purchase a 500/600w unit, that will allow you to upgrade the system eg PCI x16 video card, in the future.

Bev.

No Events found!