Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2013 12:00

Windows 8 update wrecks two XPS 8500 computers

I have two brand new XPS 8500 computers that came with Windows 8.  Both were working fine until the latest windows update - on the same day, both computers could no longer boot.  They would try to boot, I would get the frowny-face BSOD and then Windows 8 would keep entering repair mode.  Repair always failed.  I also could not restore windows, could not restore to a previous restore point and had to reset both computers to their original configuration with Dell restore and reinstall all my programs.  Needless to say, windows update is now turned off.

Anyone else have this same problem?  Interesting that both computers crapped out at the same time.  The Microsoft forums are loaded with others with similar problems on other computers.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 5th, 2013 13:00

Sometimes booting to "last known good mode" fixes this.

It's a shame that these updates are pushed without being properly tested.

6 Posts

January 5th, 2013 13:00

Sometimes, but not this time.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 5th, 2013 14:00

Have you tried updating the drivers with the latest versions from their respective vendors?

Also, if you haven't already, I suggest you update the BIOS to the latest version.

6 Posts

January 5th, 2013 15:00

These are brand-new computers.  I checked, and they have the latest BIOS (A09) and other drivers.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 5th, 2013 16:00

Even though brand-new, they may not have the latest drivers. OEM machines are set up with mass-deployed images that tend to be behind the ever-changing latest fixes. Furthermore, sometimes the factory image is incorrect, as was the case with a UK user here last weekend: two brand-new 660s slims this user had tried both refused to boot. In the end, we got the problem corrected through wiping the disk and clean-installing generic Windows 7 (the OS in question).

If you haven't checked the drivers against the latest on Intel's site, it's worth doing so. Another thing that may be worth doing is saving any data, and clean-installing generic Windows.

893 Posts

January 5th, 2013 19:00

Looking through frantic Win8 outcry postings I realizing that Win7=WinXP in stability, and Win8 is more like WinME, experimental, undercooked. I don't feel any regret for not getting Win8 so far.

Just ventilating my thoughts.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 5th, 2013 19:00

The Win8 UI is designed for touch screens, which few of us have.

It's a step back for most of us.

1 Message

January 6th, 2013 00:00

I just plugged in two new XPS 8500 Special Edition machines for the first time today.  Both booted fine and went through their first-time setup routines normally.  I walked away after setting them up and came back a few hours later.  Both went to sleep.  Tried to power them up, and no good.  Stuck at the Dell Logo screen, or sometimes says your PC needs to be repaired.  Nothing I do works to go forward and have been on hold for tech support for over an hour now, with no answer yet.  I've run ePSA diagnostics and it says the hardware's fine.  Huge disappointment.  I'm the IT Director for my firm, and I've tried every trick I know with no avail.  We've recommended Dell for home users for years, and I've had Dell systems in my office and home for ten years.  Experiences like this really make you think about those kinds of decisions.

893 Posts

January 6th, 2013 02:00

If you are IT, you would know that Microsoft must take at least half of the blame for creating this junk Win8! I am not trying to protect Dell, but asking to see the whole, big picture.

5 Posts

January 6th, 2013 04:00

I had the same problem myself...

The answer was two changes to the settings in the BIOS.  This problem AND solution is known by DELL tech support.  Give them a call and they will talk you through the changes.

Richard

5 Posts

January 6th, 2013 05:00

The changes they got me to make were to disable 'Secure Boot' and change 'Boot Mode' to UEFI...

I can't confirm that these are the only changes that are required for all users however (hence why I didn't post that this was a definitive answer and rather refered the poster to the DELL tech support).

I have asked DELL to post instructions on the steps to troubleshoot the problem.

I was told that this is a well known problem that occurs on some XPS 8500's.  They didn't appear to know why.

Rich

6 Posts

January 6th, 2013 05:00

What were the changes to the BIOS?  This information could save some of us a call to Dell.

6 Posts

January 6th, 2013 15:00

That wouldn't have helped me any, as those were my settings when everything   out.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 6th, 2013 15:00

Yes, but are they still set that way?

6 Posts

January 6th, 2013 16:00

Yup.

No Events found!