Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2007 20:00

Windows won't start with SanDisk plugged in.

Dell Dimension 8300 running Windows Xp. With power up, I get the screen with Boot and Startup menus, but windows will not start up if I have my SanDisk Mini Curzer 1 GB flash drive plugged in to any of the USB ports. All I get is a black screen. The system hangs (not a time out issue). Tried different Boot and Sratup configs to no avail. If I pull out the flash drive, without rebooting, Windows will start. The flash drive operates normally if I plug it in after windows is running. If I "Restart" the computer with the flash drive plugged in, Windows will restart (power is not turned off when using "Restart" vs "Turn Off"). Other USB devices do not cause this problem. What's going on? Is there a fix to this problem so that I can leave the flash drive plugged in and not have to remove it every time I boot up? Updated to latest BIOS AO7, still no luck. Joan O

Message Edited by Joan_O on 03-26-2007 07:23 PM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 26th, 2007 21:00

There is a known issue, and a fix, for USB connected devices that "slow" the boot up process.  What is happening is the BIOS is checking connected USB devices for booting, but since a printer/scanner/non-bootable memory key, etc are not "boot" devices the BIOS has to go through a long "time out cycle" before continuing. 

The fix is to set the USB for "no boot" (May not be the correct wording in the BIOS).  Then when you boot up the BIOS will not look for a bootable USB device.

Message Edited by fireberd on 03-26-2007 06:09 PM

3 Posts

March 28th, 2007 19:00

Problem solved! To keep flashdrive plugged in and allow Windows to start at power up and boot up, go to F2 "Setup" menu and select "Legecy Devices". Then select "USB Emulator" which has three possible selections, On, Off, and No Boot. Default was "On". Set to "No Boot." This will allow the system to boot up and Windows to start with the flash drive plugged in. Thanks, Fireberd Joan O

527 Posts

March 28th, 2007 23:00

Its a problem with the U3 system installed on the drive. It acts as a CDROM drive in Windows for the Launchpad.

3 Posts

March 29th, 2007 00:00

Sorry, no! See discussion above re setting the USB Emulation to "No Boot." That solved the problem. Windows now starts with the SanDisk flash drive plugged in. Joan O

527 Posts

March 29th, 2007 00:00

Joan, I am happy your problem is solved. All I was merely inputting was my opinion on the problem, not a solution to it. Like all postings here they are subject to others opinions.
No Events found!