Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2003 20:00

Wireless mouse battery life?

I've had a Dell PC and the Dell wireless mouse for no more than two months at most, and I've already had to change the batteries on the mouse FOUR times. Is this normal? Someone else who got the same PC and mouse at the same time as me hasn't had to change his batteries once yet.

Also, is there any way to turn off the mouse when I'm not using it? Right now, it's on all the time.

Thanks for your help!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 16th, 2003 13:00

Retro Gamer,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum (DCF).
How many hours per day are you using the mouse? Generally, battery life for the keyboard/mouse is about once every 8-10 months or so (being used about 2 hours/day, 7 days/week). Mouse batteries typically last about 6 months, so long as you use decent alkalines.

Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 10-16-2003 09:43 AM

October 16th, 2003 17:00

I'd say that I use the mouse for 2-5 hours 7 days a week (give or take). Considering that I've already had to change the batteries four times in about two months, would you say that I have a defective mouse? Since the computer is so new, I'm assuming the mouse is still under warranty. If you feel that it is indeed defective, how would I go about getting a free replacement from Dell?

Thanks again.

October 24th, 2003 22:00

Retro Gamer,

I've been using the Dell by Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combination for about 10 months.  My family uses this home PC about 3 hours every day.  So far I've replaced the keyboard batteries once - and they still had some "juice" left.  I have had to consistently replace the mouse batteries every six weeks.  I use Energizer alkalines.  I use a light colored mouse pad to minimize power use.

- Windows XP Professional SP1
- Dell 8250, Pentium IV, 2.4GHz
- 512 MB 1066 RDRAM
- ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB Video Card
- 120 GB Western Digital Internal HD
- 120 GB Maxtor 5000DV External HD
- NEC 1100-A DVD+RW Drive
- Liteon LTD 163 DVD-ROM Drive
- Iomega 250 MB Zip Drive
- Dell FP1900 Monitor
- Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
- SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Soundcard
- Altec Lansing 745 Speakers
- Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro Joystick

October 24th, 2003 23:00

I currently have a black mouse pad. Do light colored pads really make a difference? How exactly does that work anyway? BTW, what light colors would you say work best? Thanks!

Dell-ChrisM, I just responded to your private message. I never got your e-mail the first time, so if you could re-send it, that would be great. I left my address in the PM in case you need it.

Message Edited by Retro Gamer on 10-24-2003 08:18 PM

October 25th, 2003 11:00

Supposedly, you can extend battery life if you use a light colored mouse pad.  I think the idea is that the mouse enters low power mode quicker.  For example, Kensington makes a silvery surface mouse pad called "Battery Saver."  I use it because: (1) it looks good, (2) the mouse glides very smoothly over the pad's surface, and (3) maybe it extends battery life.  I've never run a controlled test of "light mouse pad" vs. "dark mouse pad."

Here's a link to Logitech wireless mouse info: http://www.logitech.com/lang/pdf/cordless_white_paper_91_EN.pdf?countryid=19&languageid=1

- Windows XP Professional SP1
- Dell 8250, Pentium IV, 2.4GHz
- 512 MB 1066 RDRAM
- ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB Video Card
- 120 GB Western Digital Internal HD
- 120 GB Maxtor 5000DV External HD
- NEC 1100-A DVD+RW Drive
- Liteon LTD 163 DVD-ROM Drive
- Iomega 250 MB Zip Drive
- Dell FP1900 Monitor
- Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
- SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Soundcard
- Altec Lansing 745 Speakers
- Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro Joystick

January 29th, 2004 00:00

I go thru so many batteries it is not funny anymore. 

I use a the best Energizer batteries and have to change about every two weeks.  Dell actually switched out my first wireless keyboard/mouse since I had this problem out of the box.  The new ones do the same...  I use the comptuter several hours a day.  Will try the light colored mouse pad thing.  I probably will just switch over to a hard wired keyboard/mouse.

Question.....can I use the wireless keyboard and a hard wired mouse?  The key board sill as the original batteries.   Thanks.   Dave

502 Posts

January 29th, 2004 02:00

Reply I got from Logitech tech support on cordless mice was that you should part in on a light, but not reflective, surface.  Their mice have several levels of power saving.  Make sure the cat's not playing with it when you're not looking.

I use rechargable NiMh batteries in the mice.  Usually swap them out every two weeks or so.  Doesn't take too many changes for the higher cost of a couple sets of NiMh to balance the cost of disposable alkalines.  And I use the same batteies in digital camera and portable cd player, so more savings accrue.

Original keyboard batteries lasted a year or so.

Val

83 Posts

January 30th, 2004 11:00

Like Vmansd, I also use rechargeable NiMH batteries. I have the MS wireless intellimouse, and i recharge the batteries weekly under heavy load.  I have been using them for about a year now. I dont even want to think about how much 52 packs of regular alkalines would cost me. :) And i also use em for my digital camera & cd player occasionally. Highly reccommend rechargeables

4 Posts

June 29th, 2004 00:00

Ouch - I can tell you that in barely 6 months, I have had to replace every 3 to 4 weeks at best and I get the 8 packs for about $8, so I have now spent about $24 and the wireless mouse is erratic in the movement, even when the batteries are new.   The light on the side sort of flickers sometimes with a mind of its own. 

1 Message

November 7th, 2004 00:00

I am going to replace my third set of Wireless mouse batteries.  I leave my PC on all the time, and suspect the mose is never sleeping. Is there a driver available that will put the mouse to sleep if it is idle for some n number of minutes until a key is depressed?

Thanks, love the mouse - hate buying batteries.

4 Posts

November 7th, 2004 11:00

I am replacing my batteries about every two  weeks.  The only real answer, is to get rechargable batteries.   Then with the charger and 2 sets of batteries, it is just keep swapping the batteries.  

As it is, the red light came on yesterday, which means that sometime today, I will have to replace the batteries.   I have a battery tester but that meant that I could usually get an extra 3 or 4 days with one of the batteries.   On one side, the battery comes out easily, on the other side it is a pain.  

An lastly, my mouse is not smooth and the clicks are not precise.   On my old old laptop, the mouse is smooth as silk.  

And, even though my PC is not 10 months old, Dell had to send me a new CPU because the PC died  a month ago.   And their service provider, Banktec (or however it is spelt) did a lousy job, came a day late, lied to me, promised and did not deliver, then sent me a part time guy, who was great. 

Good luck, this is probably my first and last PC.  Back to Gateway.

1 Message

December 15th, 2005 22:00

@Anonymous-ChrisM wrote:
Retro Gamer,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum (DCF).
How many hours per day are you using the mouse? Generally, battery life for the keyboard/mouse is about once every 8-10 months or so (being used about 2 hours/day, 7 days/week). Mouse batteries typically last about 6 months, so long as you use decent alkalines.

Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 10-16-2003 09:43 AM

My batteries go out every 3 months and I don't use it every day and then for only 1 or 2 hours. Your support said it should last 3 months. You say 6 months I think I have a deffective mouse. What can I do about it? How can I get a new one?

November 4th, 2014 09:00

I have been using a Logitech cordless mouse for nearly a year. With my usage the battery used to last for not less than 3 months.

I purchased Dell Cordless mouse and hell broke loose - I need to change the battery every 4 to 5 days! There is no change in my usage habits, PC, OS or even table. This is a PATHETIC product.

I haven't taken it to the service center because I don't expect a fair deal.

Regards,

Tomsan

3 Posts

December 7th, 2014 22:00

I have had a Dell XPS desktop for 18 months.  First the wireless keyboard/mouse kit came without the usb dongle and I had to wait 2 weeks for a replacement to be sent.  My mouse started playing up a month later.  It began chewing through batteries at about a set per 3 weeks.  

I use my XPS about 1-3 hours 4-5 days a week.  On my previous laptop with a Logitech wireless mouse i got through most of a year on one set of batteries.  Over the past 6 months I've noticed a dramatic decline in battery life.  My use has not increased but i'm not going through 1 set of batteries in less than a week and the mouse is becoming more erratic to control.

I resorted to rechargeable batteries about 12 months ago to keep long term costs down but this is a very bad product. how can one mouse last 10-15 times longer than another??? poor quality product plain and simple.  

It is an expensive computer and it is a shame dell feels they have to get away supplying such cheap and inferior peripherals.  My keyboard still has the original batteries yet the cheap and nasty mouse is getting the better of me and will be in the bin soon.  I will be getting a replacement very soon and never buying a thing from dell ever again.

No Events found!