Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2013 05:00

XPS 2720 Touch Screen stopped working

I have had this system for around 3 weeks, and today the touch screen just stopped working for no apparent reason.

I have barely used the system since I received it (have been away), and so it is very unlikely it is due to anything I have done (I've installed virtually nothing except Microsoft Office).

I am reluctant to go fiddling with BIOS drivers, etc, given the repercussions that has had for some people elsewhere on this forum.

Any ideas please?

(I must admit I am disappointed to be having numerous issues in a top of the range computer at a premium price.)

4 Posts

March 4th, 2014 16:00

Worked!

1 Message

March 29th, 2014 13:00

I also have a Dell XPS 2720

and i am also experiencing that the touch screen is lost sometimes

when the pc is rebooted. I found that the touch screen seems to be

a usb device, and I can switch it back on (in windows: )

System->Device manager -> Human Interface-devices (HID) ->

(p.s. the above path might differ a bit in naming: i'm working on a dutch system)

there one of the USB-input devices is switched off.

after switching it on, the sceen is working again.

I would however like to see a permanent solution for this problem...

1 Message

June 11th, 2014 19:00

CROCO747 has solved it! Not sure why, but after many weeks, my 2720 also lost touch. Simply go to your device manager and look within the Human Interface Device (HID), you'll see many listings. Note VERY CAREFULLY that one of the icons next to a "USB Input Device" has a WHITE DOWN ARROW over it. It isn't' easy to see. This means that this device is disabled. Simply right-click on this USB Input Device and choose to "Enable" it. Touch will immediately restore.

34 Posts

September 24th, 2013 05:00

I found this on a different thread - should I try this?  This was to fix the screen blanking out randomly.  It says to use BIOS AO2.  However other posts say to use BIOS AO1 and not AO2 as the latter can cause flickering problems:

Different thread:

"I updated my Bios to A02 long ago before any issues were observed on my system.  

I would recommend updating the bios to A02 before starting.  Its your call

Here is the steps that I performed:

1.  Went to the Control Panel and did an uninstall of the Intel HD Driver.

2.  Rebooted my system

3.  Selected My Dell in the Windows 8 Start menu tiles

4.  Clicked on Drivers and Downloads tile in My Dell

5.  Scrolled down to the bottom to Video Drivers

6.  For the Intel HD Graphics Driver, I Clicked on Previous Versions to find the earlier driver

7.  Under Expand All Categories, I clicked on Previous Versions

8.  Then I clicked on 9.18.10.3055 A00 driver

9.  Then downloaded Video_Intel_W84_A00_Setup-30TJ5_ZPE.exe

10.  Clicked on Run to install the older driver

11.  Rebooted my System

If you purchased the NVIDIA GT 750M discrete card option, Windows Update has an update for the NVIDIA driver.  I installed this update as well.

All Done"

34 Posts

September 24th, 2013 06:00

I tried installing the new BIOS but apparently I'm on AO3 while AO2 is the latest???!  It's saying I cannot update as my version is not older.

34 Posts

September 24th, 2013 06:00

Ok now I'm annoyed.  As I figured this would be the first step that a Dell Advisor would tell me to do, I updated the video drivers (Intel and graphics card) to their latest versions, but not only that did not fix the lack of touch issue, it has introduced a new problem with the screen randomly blacking out for 1 to 2 seconds (as described on other threads).

September 24th, 2013 07:00

Hi ender4000,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your technical expertise as you’ve all the possible technical steps to fix the issue.
Please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Type touch in the search field on the Search Charm and select Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input
2. Click Calibrate to launch the calibration tool
3. Touch the screen to confirm the input supports touch
4. Press Enter to continue with the calibration tool
5. Tap the Cross Hair (+) with your finger each time it appears on the screen to calibrate the touchscreen
6. Follow the on screen instruction and save the calibration data to complete touchscreen calibration
7. Click Yes to save the calibration data
8. The search results for touch will also show options like Pen and Touch, change touch input settings and change multi-touch gesture settings.
    Check those for other adjustment options

As you’ve already installed the Video and BIOS drivers on the computer, please provide us the Service tag of the computer on a private message.
To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a Private Message and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

System Service Tag No:
Registered System Owner's Name:
Shipping address:
Telephone number/s:
Email address:

Let us know if this helps.

34 Posts

September 24th, 2013 09:00

Thanks - however I cannot locate the calibration tool - the Search Charm results do not contain any results relating to Touch calibration, input settings or multi-touch settings.  Under device manager, there is no mention of touch screen, only the mouse as pointing device.  I will PM you my service tag.

34 Posts

September 24th, 2013 14:00

I tried System Restore but that would not run - after it attempts to run, I get the error message when it reboots as follows:

"System Restore did not complete successfully.  Your computers files and settingfs were not changed.  Details: System Restore failed while copying the registry from the restore point.  An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070570)"

I tried a different restore point, but got the same message.

I've now run out of ideas - I've also installed all the latest updates from the Dell Driver page.

Over to you!  Thanks.  

Summary of issues:

1. Touch doesn't work.

2. Why am I on BIOS AO3 when the latest for my system should be AO2?

3. Why doesn't System Restore work?

34 Posts

Note that in System Information from the Control Panel, it states "Pen and Touch:  No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display."

That's a bit odd isn't it?  A side question, how am I on a later BIOS version than the latest? (I'm on AO3, the latest is currently AO2)

34 Posts

In the Pen and Touch section of Dell Support Centre it says "Tablet and Pen settings is unavailable.  Contact the manufacturer of your tablet computer (error=0)."

1 Message

September 30th, 2013 10:00

Hi,

I am also having similar problem with the touchscreen. I called up the technical support and they had no idea what happen to my PC too. The took over the computer and couldn't locate the calibrate touch input option. In the end, he recommended me to PC setting -> General - > Refresh your pc ...

It did bring back my  touchscreen but I lost quite a number of installed software and data less those apps installed from windows store. I have to do this once every other week. Quite disappointed with this product.

17 Posts

September 30th, 2013 20:00

I too have discovered the loss of touch screen...  just went away.  So there is NO fix for this?  

I don't think a Refresh of PC is an option since it is just a band aid on the bigger issue...

please advise as I too was unable to locate this calibration tool..  was there a system update that just rolled out that would negatively impact our system??

October 1st, 2013 07:00

Hi bizchng,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and the Touch calibration will not fix the issue and hence requesting you to install the latest BIOS,
Chipset and Video drivers on the computer.
Please click on the below link to install the drivers.
http://dell.to/1dFtXxL

Type in the Service tag, click on option Drivers and downloads and select the operating system and download the drivers as mentioned
Please connect the Ac Adapter while updating the BIOS and do not use the system once the update is initiated and until the system restarts completely

Complete these steps and let us know your findings

October 1st, 2013 07:00

Hi darengibo,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and the Touch calibration will not fix the issue and  I appreciate that you’ve also tried restoring the computer back to the Factory settings, Please try  installing the latest BIOS, Chipset and Video drivers on the computer.

Click on the below link to install the drivers.
http://dell.to/1dFtXxL

Type in the Service tag, click on option Drivers and downloads and select the operating system and download the drivers as mentionedPlease connect the Ac Adapter while updating the BIOS and do not use the system once the update is initiated and until the system restarts completely

Complete these steps and let us know your findings

No Events found!