Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2017 22:00

XPS 2720 all in one desktop video issue...

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

November 16th, 2017 02:00

No, I wouldn't expect a failing LCD to make any kind of grinding noise (or any noise for that matter)

Has the noise now ceased? Is the PC performing normally apart from the LCD issue? Usually the only thing that will make a grinding sound is a fan or possibly the hard drive. Had the system been dropped or taken a knock?

It might be an idea to run the hardware diagnostics to see if there are any underlying issues. To launch the diagnostics, turn on the system, press at the initial Dell logo screen, and select Diagnostics from the boot menu.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

November 15th, 2017 02:00

Hi Denny,

It looks like the LCD is faulty. To confirm this, please try the following:

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Continuously tap any one of the OSD buttons to trigger the LCD Built In Self Test.

The screen should cycle through various solid colors. If the same pattern/distortion is visible during this test, the LCD is faulty and will need replaced. Are you able to connect to an external monitor? If so, is it's display OK?

Do you know if your system is still under warranty? Please send me a PM with the service tag and I can look into your options.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 15th, 2017 04:00

This is physical damage to the edge of the screen internally. There are no soft fixes for physical damage.

This is what it looks like with impact in the middle.

November 15th, 2017 21:00

For several weeks when I started the computer it would make a grinding type of sound that lasted anywhere from 15 seconds to 2 minutes then the sound would disappear. Then one day I turned it on and it looked like the photo, and never recovered.  Does the LCD make that kind of noise when it's failing?  The machine is out of warranty.  

November 30th, 2017 17:00

It can't be physical damage.  This all in one hasn't moved from my desktop in probably two years.

No Events found!