Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 10th, 2012 11:00

XPS 400/Dimension 9150-No Sound

Hello

I need advice on how to remove the small PCB that is mounted on the front panel on the Dell Dimension 9150. This houses the two USB ports , LEDs,
headphone and microphone jacks and the on/off switch. The headphone socket maybe defective as the SB sound system is not functioning.

A year or so ago I plugged headphones in the socket, there was a loud crack and the system went off. I managed to restore it and the sound's been OK and since never used the headphone outlet until last night after having a few drinks and plugged earphone jack in the socket again and pop the sound went off and this time doesn't come back on again. I assume there must be a short in the socket don't know whether this has damaged the sound card. I have already removed the fans and CPU heatsink.

Regards

John

14.4K Posts

March 10th, 2012 12:00

Have you checked your speaker settings under sounds in control panel. It may have been set to the headphone vice the speakers.

March 12th, 2012 04:00

Hi Dave

Yes I checked this and it just states that jack information not available.

The System Devices sound card which is the SB X-Fi I assume feeds the 5.1 Surround system via the head-phone jack. I suppose I could remove the small white in-line plug on the edge of the PCB and rewire it bypassing the headphone jack.

John

No Events found!