Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2009 16:00

XPS 400: USB problems

Hi, I'm having an issue with my XPS 400. Hopefully this is the right section cause the forums are so confusing now that I can't tell whats what.

Here's the deal with it, for awhile now my computer randomly has been turning its USB's off, and I have no clue why. All of a sudden I'm working, and then hear the disconnect noise and my keyboard and mouse stop working so I'm forced to manually shut down. To combat the keyboard failure screen I have to unplug the computer and press the power button for 20 secs, plug it in, and back to normal until it does it again.

I've replaced the keyboard as well to see if that was the problem, but it still continues. The issue also was happening before I reformatted my hard drive a month or two ago.

Only today was the first time I got an actual error from my computer, which told me that my usb's weren't recognized and they malfunctioned. Any one have any ideas on what I could do? or what is even wrong with it?

XPS 400

Pentium D 2.80 ghz

Nvidia Geforce 8800gt

2GB of ram

(if you need more just ask)

4.6K Posts

March 30th, 2009 08:00

It could just be a drivers problem?

Download/reinstall the latest chipset drivers, plus any drivers available for the keyboard/mouse :emotion-55:

(if you need more just ask)

OS?

11 Posts

March 30th, 2009 10:00

I knew I forgot something. I use Windows XP: Media Center.

I'm not sure what the process is for chipset drivers, would they be available from dell's site? and would I have to uninstall the old ones? The keyboard and mouse drivers I could probably figure out on my own.

No Events found!