Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2011 10:00

XPS 400 won’t start. No power?

I procrastinated too long to replace this desktop. There appears to be zero power going to or at least from the power button.  I’ve followed the KB article and it ultimately led to the instructions to contact support.

Background – Left the PC downloading latest obnoxiously large itunes update before going to bed.  Next morning the PC was off and would not start.  No power, as though it was not plugged in.  Upon inspection and finding where all the missing dust in the house was hiding, the only sign of life is a green LED on the motherboard.  The power button has no color/light, the drives don’t show a sign of life.

The only hint of any impending doom was a low cmos battery warning a few months back, but with the time always being correct and no noticeable software issues I continued procrastinating. 

I reseated drives and memory, disconnected all drives, readers even the cpu and motherboard fans and I get nothing, except that eerie green LED on the motherboard. Of course I sucked out the dust too.

Did I allow my PC to overheat and melt some 2 cent circuit? Is this a power supply issue and what is the best way to test this?

Thanks in advance.

PS, newbie question, what is the likelihood of using this old hard drive as a secondary drive on a new XPS desktop?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 20th, 2011 13:00

connell.kb

If the power button LED and the four diagnostic lights on the front panel are not lite, I suggest that you install different power supply and see if it makes a difference.

The LED on the motherboard is the 'Stand By Power Light' [aka 'flea power'] and indicates the motherboard has 'some' power is reaching it, not an indication that the power supply has not failed.

The XPS 400 system does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can use most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and with a minimum of 2-SATA power connectors.

As the XPS 400 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from most local, or online computer stores.

As the XPS 400 supports a SATA hard drive, this can used in a new XPS system as an additional hard drive.

Bev.

Ps,  When replacing the power supply, also replace the CMOS battery, a 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell is required.

4 Posts

March 12th, 2011 16:00

My XPS 400 is in the same Boat....

It was shutting off for the past few weeks everytime I was burning DVD's. It would just completely shut down and left me with a solid amber light on in the front. I would hold the power button for a minute release it and then push the power button once again it would turn back on.  It would only shut down like this when burning movies on DVD etc.. Only this time I let it go because it seamed like it wasnt going to shut off again. It usually only took 5-20 minutes. So i left it to burn overnight. The next morning dead, off no amber light.

I took the case off and the green led is lit on the motherboard. yet there is no other power and there is no sign of life in this XPS what so ever.

So you say there is aka flea power from the L375P-00 Power supply or is it from the CMOS Battery?

If it is the power supply what is compatible to the L375P-00 that is higher, better etc I can install?

I wouldnt mind going to 500 or 800 if need be.

Please lmk what options are there.

Thanks

Mike

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 12th, 2011 18:00

mcdode

The 'Flea Power' LED originates from the power supply.

The Corsair 550w power supply, shown HERE is compatible with the XPS 400.

Bev.

4 Posts

March 17th, 2011 18:00

Is there a list of whats compatible to the 375w i have in my DELL? I am not in So Cal anymore and it sucks dealing with people without a brain here. I tried a Rocketfish but the case is too large etc.. Everything that was posted above i cannot find here. if i had a list it would help or a site i can visit that i am able to just pop this thing in and go. you wont believe what some of these people tell me here. Explaining what i need is just not good enough. lol i know i could order online but there is still snow here and i dont want any parts left on my front door.

Thanks

Mike

4 Posts

March 17th, 2011 18:00

I went out and bought a Rocketfish™ - 500-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply Model: RF-500WPS2 ATX 12V V2.3 motherboards is my motherboard on the XPS400 v.2? would this work at all?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 17th, 2011 19:00

mcdode

Yes, the Rocketfish, 500-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply Model: RF-500WPS2 ATX 12V power supply should be fine.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

mcdode

It makes no difference.

You will need to find a space inside the case to tuck the surplus power cables in.

Bev.

4 Posts

last question on this. Now this is a bigger PSU so is there anything special to do to make this thing fit and by the looks of it the way it installs the the fan would be facing the top of the case or would you suggest to install it with the fan facing down towards the bottom of the case?

No Events found!