Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2009 11:00

XPS 400 won't turn on at all.

I purchased an XPS 400 a little over 2 and a half years ago. It has had a bad usb port on the front of it for quite sometime, due to the dog ripping out my headset. I haven't used that specific usb port for over a year. Yesterday I got home from work and plugged in my headset into that usb port. It didn't work and when I realized I plugged it into the wrong one I plugged it into the working port. It still wasn't working so I shut down and went to turn it back on, but I got nothing. There is no boot up what so ever. I replaced the power supply and tried turning it on taking out each mem card and still nothing. I do not get any diagnostic lights or beeps. The green light on the motherboard is on and I have a flashing amber light on the power switch. I am assuming the switch is fine because it is clicking and flashing an amber light, but I'm not a tech.

I read somewhere that a short in the 5 volt circuitry, from a usb port, could disable the computer from turning on, but no other information was given. Any advice as to what to do now? Should I order a new motherboard?

14.4K Posts

April 11th, 2009 12:00

You could try first unplugging the front usb ports from the motherboard and try to boot then. other wise since you have replaced the supply that rules that out, so what is left is another componet such as the ram sticks, or cards. try pulling out all the cards and all the ram. power on

Do the fans spin? Do you hear any beeps have any diagnostic lights. At this point if no change then the motherboard is history

3 Posts

Yep I tried puling the cards and ram sticks and nothing. There is no sound at all. No fan spins, beeps, diag lights or anything. The front usb port that was messed up is attached to the same circuit board so the power switch and then connected to the motherboard via cable. I thought about trying that, but I am not positive how to remove the usb port from the circuit board without destroying something. Can I just pull it off? lol.

I am curious though if I order a new motherboard I am still going to have to remove that usb port to prevent the same thing from happening again since it's all on the same board as the power switch. Should I order a new switch with usb ports or is there an easy way to remove the messed up one?

14.4K Posts

The usb ports are part of the front I/O panel and would have to be replaced as one unit you can see HERE

If it was me I would replace both as if this was the cause then the likelyhood of inadvertently doing it again is still there.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2009 13:00

Great thank you much. I just ordered a new mobo and am still looking for the i/o panel replacement, but I am sure I will find it eventually. Thanks again.

14.4K Posts

April 11th, 2009 13:00

Since that would be Dell propritary then you will more than likely need to cal Dell Spare Parts to get one

No Events found!