Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2011 00:00

XPS 410 Processor Upgrade

Hello, I want to upgrade the processor on my XPS 410. Now I know its an older computer but I don't have the money at the moment to buy a new computer. If this computer can get me by for another year or maybe two that would be great.

From my scrounging of the interwebz, I have come up with this information. Please look threw it and tell me what you think.

My mobo is a Dell 0WG855 with a Pentium D 2.80 LGA775 Smithfield processor and a Intel P965 Chipset. If you need any other system info please let me know.

I was looking at replacing it with an Intel Dual Core Pentium 6500 2.93 Ghz or Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93Ghz. Both LGA775. From my calculations, either of these two processors offer 60-70% more power than my current Pentium D. 

So first, can I expect either of these to work in my current computer?

Second, if neither of these work, do you have any recommendations for a different processor?

Any other opinions?

I'm currently using this rig for mid-level gaming, FYI.

Thanks for any input.  :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 18th, 2011 08:00

bigVX

The XPS 410 BIOS version 2.5.3 will not recognize any processors above Core 2 Duo E6700 and the Core 2 Quad Q6700.

You can find a list of compatible processors for the XPS 410 HERE

Note: The Core 2 Quad Q6700, is not listed, but is compatible.

Prior to installing the processor, you need to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version, 2.5.3, because with version 2.5.1, new CPU Support was added.

Bev.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2011 10:00

Thank you, shesagordie!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 18th, 2011 11:00

bigVX

You are welcome.

Bev.

2 Posts

August 12th, 2013 10:00

Classic question: Upgrade vs. New.

From a cost perspective, upgrading the processor and memory is usually a good bet. It preserves your investment in software and the time you spent to configure your computer.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 really should be have 4GB of RAM as a minimum to permit proper caching of applications during regular computer use, and also caching of frequently accessed data files during gaming.  Hard disk drives, especially the ones that are custom built to dell specifications to save cost (the other computer manufacturers do this too) are notoriously slow.  So, if you have extra memory that is not in use by windows and your programs, windows will cache frequently used data in RAM rather than going back to talk to the slow disk drive.  You can test this by restarting you computer and measuring the time it takes to open and finish loading your default web page.  Then close the web browser and measure the time it takes to open the same page again. The difference in time is the difference made by caching the web browser application and associated files along with the cashed web browsing data stored on the hard disk drive in RAM.  Unless your computer is Extremely short on memory( not allowing any caching), you may see a difference from 8 to as much as 40 seconds in the time it takes to load the browser and page.

The XPS 410, with the BIOS update from support.dell.com, will support at best the dual core Core2 Duo E6700 or the quad core Core2 Quad Q6700. Both of these processors are superior to the 3.73GHz Pentium EE 960 ( a Pentium D with hyper-threading enabled).  As more programs are supporting multi-core processors, a quad core processor would be a good bet.

The XPS 410 will also support 8 GB of 800MHz RAM.  However, if you are using a 32 bit version of windows, 4GB is your limit.  If you do have a 32 bit operating system but still want a memory upgrade, use 2 2GB modules as that will leave 2 slots open for a potential memory upgrade if you switch to 64Bit windows.

Your graphics card is key to gaming...  If you're not using a slot mounted graphics card, or if yours came with your computer, you can do well with a $150.00 Graphics card.

Upgrading the disk drive can make a big difference too, however this gets into issues of transferring the disk image to the new drive.  The best drives to use are solid state drives (SSD) as they deliver the best performance but they are expensive. With windows vista and windows 7 a feature known as "ready boost" can improve disk performance, a very small SSD or a very fast USB flash drive can be used as a ready boost drive to improve the performance of an existing HDD.

I typically install new operating systems on a SSD and run automatic system image backups to a HDD.

Good luck!

No Events found!