Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 26th, 2008 02:00

XPS 410 cpu fan failure, but the fan is running

It is running, but running a lot louder than normal. I just replaced power supply with a new 450w power supply. I've checked and the fan's connected to the mb.

It's not a cpu fan, either. The cpu has a heat sink and the fan in question is at the front of the case.

Is there something I need to do to get the mb to talk to the fan again or is it because of the new power supply.

The computer boots up like normal and other than a really loud fan and having to hit F1 at boot up, things are running fine.

Thanks.

Del

10 Posts

May 29th, 2008 03:00

hi! for the f1 you just have to disable the floppy drive in your system setup (bios)..sorry cant help on the fan

2 Posts

November 24th, 2009 21:00

Any ideas as to the cause of this?

I read on another thread the fans somehow communicate to the bios, and if bios doesn't get the correct signal that error shows up.

I have the exact same situation, however all I did was replace the video card on my XPS 410. Hardware otherwise seems fine, just the primary CPU fan is a lot louder than it usually is. Should I order a replacement fan, or replace the heatsink as well?

940 Posts

November 24th, 2009 21:00

The fan in the front is the CPU fan, it blows the air thru the heatsink. If the fan is making loud noise then it is time to replace it before it fails and causes overheating.

2 Posts

November 24th, 2009 22:00

Considering I run this poor machine 24/7 I'm not all that surprised its about to go after a couple years.

Looks like its fairly straight forward to replace though what is its part number?

940 Posts

November 25th, 2009 12:00

Here is a clip from my parts sheet for it.

Heatsinks, Fans and Accessories
P8016 CPU Heatsink & Shroud Assembly (For 8xx, 9xx, 6xxx series CPUs), Mainstream
P8192 Front Fan & Shroud Assembly
MJ611 PCI Fan & Shroud Assembly
U9607 CPU Heatsink & Shroud Assembly (For 5xx series CPUs), Mainstream
X9694 CPU Heatsink & Shroud Assembly (For Presler 960 CPU), Performance

3.4K Posts

November 25th, 2009 13:00

Hello,

Is the new power supply a Dell part number, or an after market unit?

940 Posts

November 25th, 2009 14:00

What power supply are you talking about? I only gave part numbers for heatsink and fans. And all ot he part numbers I listed are Dell part numbers that you would use when calling Dell Spare Parts. I took these numbers directly from the spreadsheet I have with all of the Dimension series listed that I got from Dell. I am a Certtified Dell Tech and have been for around 7 - 8 years.

3.4K Posts

November 25th, 2009 14:00

What power supply are you talking about?

Hello ...

I was replying to the OP that started this thread.

If he installed a non-Dell power supply, it's not talking to the motherboard. Hence the fast fan speed, and the error at startup.

940 Posts

November 25th, 2009 19:00

The PSU does not talk to the fans. I replaced the PSU in my 410 with a retail 650w and there was no issues ans many others have done. The fans in the 410 connect directly to the motherboard and are controlled thru the bios and has nothing to do with the PSU. I would think if was just a coincident that they happened at around the same time or when he had removed the heatsink to re-run the wiring that he bumped it and it was jarred a bit. If he has checked everything and it is all connected properly then the fan is starting to go and needs to be replaced. Fans do fail, I have had fans fail 10 minutes after installing and others that are still going stron in old 386/486 systems that I still have.

No Events found!