Highlighted
balkor
Copper

XPS 410 power supply upgrade

Can anyone tell me of a way to upgrade my power supply to a 550 or 600. I read on here that 375 is enough and other techs are telling me its not. The video card I want to run requires a 450W power supply. Any help appreciated. Thank You

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
shesagordie
Diamond

Re: XPS 410 power supply upgrade

balkor

XPS410/9200 systems do not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can use most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin, main motherboard power connector.

Because the XPS410/9200 have an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

Note: You need a power supply, with six SATA power connectors.

The details for replacing the power supply are here,

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

unkfrank
Bronze

How can I tell the number of SATA power connectors? Some power supply descriptions mention the number of SATA connectors, but a lot of them don't.

Thanks!

Frank

shesagordie
Diamond

How can I tell the number of SATA power connectors? Some power supply descriptions mention the number of SATA connectors, but a lot of them don't.

Thanks!

Frank

If the connectors are not listed by the vendor, then go to the manufacturer's website for the information.  

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

bunjy
Bronze

Did you ever get around to upgrading your power supply?  If yes, which one did you use and how is it working in your XPS 410?

wapazoid
Copper

I'm looking to upgrade my psu as well.  I've recently installed a Radeon HD4870 (1GB) and I'm a little concerned about possible stability issues this might cause.  Would someone mind recommending a high performance replacement, preferrably one that's relatively quiet? 

Jman01
Copper

For anyone wanting to run any of the newer PSU's in a XPS 410 here is how I did it.

Connect the 24 pin cable as normal, and use the LP4 to P4 adapter to connect to your 4 pin on the board. It's only an extra 5 volts on the 4 pin but since it's an older motherboard this is required. Also this PSU did not fit in the slot at first and looked liked it wasn't going to at all, but if you work with it enough it'll fit into place. There's a small gap below the unit now, maybe less than an inch tall which isn't a big deal as no air is being *** in through this part of the box.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200084&cm_re=p4_adapter-_-12-200-084-_-Prod...

In the PC now is an ATI HD 5770 and Corsair TX 850w which perform like a champ. All my games are ran at max settings at 1920x1080 without any FPS loss and the boot time was cut in half. The 375w that Dell put in here must of really been cheap.

0 Kudos
bunjy
Bronze

Jman01,

Thanks for the info.  I have a couple of questions for you:

1)  I'm a bit of a noob, so I'm wondering what the LP4 to P4 adapter is for

2) How easy was it to remove the old power supply?  I noticed that the power cable running to the hard drives goes behind quite a bit of stuff in the case

3)  Would you mind posting a picture of how your power supply fits in your case?

Thanks again for your informative post!  My pc is starting to do some funny things and I think it might be power supply related.

0 Kudos
Jman01
Copper

There's 4 pin connection along with a 24 pin connection on the board that must be used in order for a power supply to work your XPS 410. Most new PSUs don't come with this extra 4 pin because it's dated, so hook this adapter up to an unused connection on your PSU, then connect it to the board. Removing the old PSU was easy, but putting in the new one was difficult at first. The unit didn't want to fit in the first place to begin with, but after enough playing around it went into place.

This video should show you how it looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjIc0BaTAA4

0 Kudos
bunjy
Bronze

Thanks for the reply.   I'll give it a try.  Unfortunately, the video you sent a link for was pulled from YouTube.

0 Kudos