Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2013 12:00

XPS 435MT pci-e not visible in system setup

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been looking on the Dell support forum and on the Internet for days to no avail.

I have a Dell XPS 435MT core i7 desktop. I'm using the latest drivers and bios and running  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.. The computer worked fine until I attempted to install an Anker USB PCI-E x1 / x16 card with 4 USB 3.0 Ports and a 5V 4Pin power connector (VL805 Chipset). It came with a 4 pin Molex to serial adapter.  I installed the card into my computer (as per manufacturers instructions), connected the 4pin Molex adapter to a free Sata P4 plug, closed up the case, plugged back the power cord and cables and proceeded to boot up my computer. The computer never got past the initial boot screen and gave me a BSOD. The warning was to reinstall any new hardware or software and try again. I did this and again I got a BSOD. I removed the card, and booted up to a screen that did a repair install and the got back to Windows 7. After calling the Mfg., they agreed to sending me another USB 3.0 card. Upon receipt of the second card, I again did as directed and again the same results (BSOD). Again I called the Mfg. and he had me go into System Setup, thinking we could look at the pci-e settings. The card was not recognized anywhere and there were no pci-e settings listed in system setup.  He told me to return the card for a refund. I ran the Dell Hardware Diagnostics and it reported everything as Passed. So... before I purchase a different USB 3.0 card, I want to know if there is something I did (or didn't do) to make the first brand fail. Also, should there be some sort of listing in System Setup for the PCI-e slots?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 25th, 2013 13:00

There's no PCI-e slot info or settings listed in BIOS for this model.

Exactly what does the BSOD say?

Did the card come with any software? Do you have to install the software before installing the card? Is the card fully backward compatible with earlier versions of PCI-e specs?

You could try this:

1. Reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all the current settings
  3. Exit setup and shut down normally from the desktop
  4. Power off / unplug
  5. Press / hold power button for ~15 sec
  6. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  7. Press / hold power button for ~30 sec
  8. Install new card
  9. Reinstall battery (Right-side-up!)
  10. Close up and see if it boots now
  11. If you get a different error message, reboot and open BIOS setup again. Change settings to match what you wrote down. Save the changes and exit setup

4 Posts

October 26th, 2013 14:00

Thank you very much for your fast reply.

I didn't think there was supposed to be any reference to the PCI-e in the BIOS, however the tech at Anker said that on some computers Bios settings have the options to view and configure the PCI-e.

As for the wording of the BSOD, I can only tell you from memory what I remember. It said that an error had occurred and the system had shut down to prevent any damage to my Operating System or Windows files. If any new hardware or software had recently been installed, to remove/uninstall it and try again. If it should reoccur, to contact the manufacturer for any new updates.  There was an error code listed, but unfortunately, I didn't write it down. I do remember that the first part was a string of 0000000009. I properly removed the hardware and when I rebooted the computer it did a repair and also asked if I wanted to restore the system to an earlier date. I said yes. It did not ask for any disks to be inserted.

The card did come with software drivers, to be installed AFTER I installed the card and rebooted to Windows 7. Since I was never able to get to a Windows desktop screen, I never installed the drivers. The card was fully backward compatible to Windows XP.

Unfortunately, I can't follow the instructions you outlined for me to try, because I just returned the 2 cards to the manufacturer earlier today :-(

If there are any other USB 3.0 cards that you could recommend  that should work in my XPS 435mt I would be most appreciative.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 26th, 2013 19:00

Are you running Norton antimalware software? Sorry, best I can suggest is search these forums to see if anyone else has posted about installing a USB3 card in the 435MT.

4 Posts

October 26th, 2013 21:00

No, I don't use Norton software. I use Avast Free Antivirus and Malware Bytes on demand.

As I said in my first post, I've looked both on Dell and Google for 2 days, but I couldn't find anyone with a similar problem.

But I still want to thank you for your advice and efforts. 

Nancy

November 11th, 2013 07:00

I just have exactly the same problem with the same Anker USB card.   I'll check the BIOS and maybe install the driver first.

November 24th, 2013 10:00

I never resolved this and returned the card to Anker.

No Events found!