Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2007 17:00

XPS 710 + Windows XP Media Pro Freezing up

I've had this problem since the XPS 710 arrived in late June but haven't contacted Dell support until I updated all drivers, ran virus & ad-ware scans and illiminated all unnecessary running programs  using Msconfig. All that's done and I'm still having this freeze up problem. It doesn't matter what I'm doing and there's no obvious pattern to it.

And when I shut down my system more often than not I have to hold the power button to turn it off.

I'm very unhappy with the XPS 710 system. Anyone else experiencing such disasters?

436 Posts

September 16th, 2007 19:00

I would highly recommend purchasing and downloading this Registry repair product:  http://www.registry-cleaner.net/

AND

Webroot Window Washer:

Message Edited by PDSchweitzer on 09-16-2007 01:32 PM

75 Posts

September 17th, 2007 00:00

I already own Registry Mechanic and use it! Is there a huge difference in the two programs?
I also use SpyBot, own and use SystemSuite7 Pro and keep my browser history, temp files,  & cookies cleaned out. Plus I defrag my system weekly. Though this should not be necessary with 2GB Ram, 300 GB HD, (partitioned : 75GB for System files and 225GB personal files) with 700 watts power.  I thought this was enough power/muscle to do anything with, yet I haven't done much of anything with my new machine except search out solutions for its problems.

Am I alone in this XPS710 nightmare? And is there a solution?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 17th, 2007 18:00

pamaine,

List everything you have plugged into the PC.

14.4K Posts

September 18th, 2007 11:00

pamaine wrote:
I've had this problem since the XPS 710 arrived in late June but haven't contacted Dell support until I updated all drivers, ran virus & ad-ware scans and illiminated all unnecessary running programs  using Msconfig. All that's done and I'm still having this freeze up problem. It doesn't matter what I'm doing and there's no obvious pattern to it.

And when I shut down my system more often than not I have to hold the power button to turn it off.

I'm very unhappy with the XPS 710 system. Anyone else experiencing such disasters?

What exactly do you mean when yyou say you eliminated programgs using MSconfig.. This is not really a good idea and perhaps something you turned off is causing your problems...

I would  reenable all them and see if the problem still exists...

75 Posts

September 20th, 2007 14:00

Davet50, Using Start/Run/msconfig/startup/
I have checked (to stop program loading at startup) the following:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version
"/NeroCheck
rundll32
tp4mon
Reader_sl
nmapp
GoogleToolbar Notifier (loads anyway)
PrintScreen  (loads anyway)
WirelessConfiguration
Secunia PSI (Beta) (loads anyway)

Is this what you asked for?

75 Posts

September 20th, 2007 14:00

Chris, I have two printers, Canon Pixma IP4000 & HP 3200 AIO, a hughes.net satellite modem, keyboard, mouse, Monitor w/speakers and an external HD that's powered on only when needed for backups.

DELL XPS 710 desktop computer w/WinXP Media Center Ed.

2 Gigs RAM; Intel ® Core 2 Duo 6700 processor

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTX video card

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Music sound card

300 GB SATA HardDrive

Philips DVD+-RW DVD8881 SCSI optical drive

700 Watts Power Supply

SystemSuite7 Pro

75 Posts

September 21st, 2007 22:00

To everyone who has offered help and tips...thank you!

I gave in and contacted Tech Support today and they've decided a new motherboard is in order. Mainly because of the malfunctioning integrated Broadcom NIC. But also they hope it will also help the freeze up problem as well.

Until that's accomplished I won't know, but once done I'll post how it turns out.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your input and suggestions.

473 Posts

September 22nd, 2007 06:00

Try starting Windows in safe mode, and then see if you still experience problems shutting down.

2 Posts

May 30th, 2008 18:00

Isn't it about time that DELL_Chris_M finally put all the clues together here?

The NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX doesn't play nicely with the XPS7nn series????
Load the drivers for that baby and kablamo freeze-time-every-time!

The number of threads with identical problems looking at random culprits, but if you look at the system specs of the people having this freeze issue they all have one thing in common.

"NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTx and XPS 7nn"

I can pretty much guarentee if they disable or better still remove that card the freezing stops.

However I do not have an answer to make it work with the card and any drivers currently known to man.

All these other Bios, Motherboard, etc. etc. suspects are bogus!

75 Posts

July 7th, 2008 14:00

canukdcu, I just read your post in response to my freezing system. The number of threads with identical problems looking at random culprits, but if you look at the system specs of the people having this freeze issue they all have one thing in common. "NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTx and XPS 7nn" I can pretty much guarentee if they disable or better still remove that card the freezing stops. First, sorry I'm so late in responding. However, I did want to comment so the community who has read and/or responded about this issur. We all should know by now this issue is not isolated to my machine alone. Is it the NVIDIA Geforce card? I don't know. I do know this is the slowest and most problematic computer I've ever owned. I invested more and put more power under the hood, so to speak, in this XPS720 than I should have but I wanted the BEST and fastest. Surprise. It's the slowest system I've ever operated. Even with 4GB Ram I don't dare do two things at a time because it will freeze up I recently uninstalled WinXP SP3, in hopes that would improve things. It didn't. I only have the satellite monitor connected and operating full time on the machine. It's still slow. It still freezes up. And no, I do not have viruses, worms, trojans or anything else running wild in my machine. I've dealt with that and keep all programs updated. Anyone else found a solution to this?

14.4K Posts

July 7th, 2008 16:00

my .02 is the Dell franken Soundcards.

635 Posts

July 7th, 2008 16:00

Not sure about this.  My 2x8800GTX have worked flawlessly in my 710 and 720.  I think lots of people have that config and that may lead to this conclusion, but I think it's just the 7xx series in general.

Later, 

Bub

@Canukdcv wrote:

Isn't it about time that DELL_Chris_M finally put all the clues together here?

The NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX doesn't play nicely with the XPS7nn series????
Load the drivers for that baby and kablamo freeze-time-every-time!

The number of threads with identical problems looking at random culprits, but if you look at the system specs of the people having this freeze issue they all have one thing in common.

"NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTx and XPS 7nn"

I can pretty much guarentee if they disable or better still remove that card the freezing stops.

However I do not have an answer to make it work with the card and any drivers currently known to man.

All these other Bios, Motherboard, etc. etc. suspects are bogus!

No Events found!