Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2012 05:00

XPS 8100 3 beeps on boot

Hi everybody

My XPS 8100 beeps 3 times on boot and don't go any further.

I have to force shutdown and retry several times to get it starting, or to "shake" something inside : memory, graphic card, CPU fan plug.  Sometimes unconnecting and reconnecting mains plug is a solution too ...

Once started, this machine works perfectly well but booting is always a problem.

I haven't found a list of the beep codes for this model.  What do those 3 beeps mean ? (slow beeps)

Thanks for helping

5 Posts

March 20th, 2012 05:00

wow .. this is not the good topic for this question, sorry.

PLease move it to a better place !

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 20th, 2012 06:00

3 beeps according to the Dell beep chart I have is a motherboard failure.  It could be any of several devices on the motherboard.  If you are still in warranty, contact Dell Support as only Support can get it corrected under warranty.  We are just users helping users on this forum, not Dell employees or Dell Support employees.

5 Posts

March 20th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for answering, fireberd

This is not a good new for me, as warranty is over.

Is it the only answer possible ?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 21st, 2012 04:00

The "replace motherboard" is the only fix that the beep chart lists for this.  Sorry.  One of the devices on the motherboard, such as real-time clock, or one of several other devices has failed and if one those devices fail the only option is to replace the motherboard.

5 Posts

March 21st, 2012 05:00

Thanks Fireberd, I will try something, nevertheless : I calculated that the power supply is theorically "just sufficient", so I bet that it is practically "just not sufficient". I ordered an other on, a little more powerful to try. Maybe the motherboard is just complaining because it's hungry ?! I'll tell you

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 12th, 2012 14:00

It's a thought, but I would suspect a new power supply is not going to fix it.

No Events found!