Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2012 17:00

XPS 8100--6 Beeps

I am working on a Dell Studio XPS 8100 with GCJ42 ATI Radeon HD 5700 HDMI Video Card.  The power light flashes amber and the motherboard beeps 6 times in a row, pauses then continues to beep 6 times in a row.

I tried reseating memory modules, reseating the video card.  Tried new power supply.  According to the manual 6 beeps means bad video card or chipset.

I reluctantly ordered an identical used video card from eBay.  The symptoms remain the same.

I tried removing the ATI video card, prying the plastic cover off the onboard video port, and plugging into it.  It didn't stop the beeps. 

The only thing that has stopped the beeps is when I plug an old PCI VGA video card into the only PCI slot on the motherboard.  I get video, and can log into Windows, but the wireless LAN card or the built-in ethernet port don't show up in Device Manager.

Any ideas for a cause and a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

October 2nd, 2012 18:00

Hi,

To assist you better I would like to know where you are inserting the ATI graphics card? Since, you already tried with two identicals crads, might be an issue with the slot.

As for the WLAN card not getting detected in Device Manager, would suggest you to install the drivers from Dell's support site.

Please reply.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

10 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 17:00

Another symptom is the computer restarts itself as long as the power cord is plugged into the power supply.  It won't stay powered off.

10 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 17:00

Thanks for your reply.

The ATI Radeon HD 5700 HDMI video card  is in the PCI Express x16 slot.

The drivers for the wireless lan and built-in ethernet should already be installed.  Neither one shows up in device manager as a detected device.

Thanks,

Bill

October 3rd, 2012 18:00

Hi,

Seems to be a motherboard issue.
I would request you to send the system Service Tag to access the system details, in a private message.

I am sending you a private message, please click on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide the system’s Service Tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

Please reply to my private message.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

2 Posts

October 6th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

I have just had the same problem, I think?? Every time I tried to boot up the start button was flashing orange and beeping, it got to the stage after three days that I just could't open her up at all. It also wouldn't totally power off and definately chucked a hissy fit if I asked it to restart.  I pulled her to bits and found a small battery in the tower, a 3volts lithium, which is the RTB battery. I replaced the battery, booted her up, re-set the time and now she's running like a dream. I rang Dell at first, they said it sounded like the mother board and cause I'm out of warranty decided to take a look myself, nothing to loose as at that time I was ready to hurl it from the balcony!!

Cheers,

Gijam.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 7th, 2012 07:00

Hi Gijam,

You have a balcony?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 24th, 2013 14:00

Hi Dagirli,

Glad things worked out for you. I have no idea what happened. It's normal once you go to shut down for certain applications to delay the shut down. As long as your work is properly saved, it's ok to force shutdown. This has nothing to do with your computer hardware and should not have caused those problems with the flashing amber power button.

1 Message

February 24th, 2013 14:00

I was on my computer (8100) ....I was trying to open a document on open office..for some reason it wouldn't open to I was like okay I'll restart my computer..I went to restart my computer and it told me it was waiting for the internet explorer program to close and asked me if I wanted to force close I chose no and closed everything and hit restart again

this time the sticky notes needed to be focred to close so I clicked force close it was only my sticky notes...

so it went to restart...and it sounded liek it turned on. But the screen was black and the power button for the screen was orange ... the power button stared flashing orange too..and my puter started beeping 4 times then stop then 4 tiems then stop...I was like wth..this has never done this before what do I do...I tried pushing the power button again...it would turn off then turn on but it wouldnt booot the screen was black the machine was on but i wouldnt do anything...so I cut the power to the power strip that I have everything plugged into ...turn the strip back on..pressed my power button on my tower and it works like normal?? luckyyyy I still dont know why it did that or why it was flashing orange and beeping..

No Events found!