Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

September 23rd, 2011 14:00

XPS 8300 Power Supply

Hello

I've had an XPS 8300 since July and I seem to have an occasional power supply problem.  On four occasions, the computer shuts down and you can not turn it back on until after it is disconnected from wall power for several minutes.  This behavior is consistent with power protection circuitry found in some of todays PC power supplies.  Twice, this has occurred when waking the computer from sleep.  I am not sure about the other two times as I was not there to witness what happened.  My theory is that there is a current in-rush when the computer wakes which causes the power supply output voltage to sag and trip the protection.  This may feed into problems that others have had with this model and freeze issues when waking from sleep. 

I should not be over loading the supply as I have not added any hardware.  I believe it is rated 460 Watts.  My system is an i7 2600, single 1.5 GB drive, single DVD burner,  8 GB RAM.

Anyone else have a similar issue? 

Do these computers use a standard supply or is it Dell proprietary (can I use an aftermarket supply)?

Thanks

Stan

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 15:00

Contact Dell for warranty service. Let Dell figure out what's wrong. Most Dell psu's are proprietary.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 15:00

EPS

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power, as the XPS 8300 has an open back panel, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is needed.

Bev.

6 Posts

September 24th, 2011 05:00

Thanks, this is good info.  I'll go through Dell warranty service first before buying a PSU.

Stan

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 24th, 2011 08:00

EPS

You are welcome and good luck.  :emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!