Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2011 13:00

XPS 8300, SATA port question

The tech specs indicate new xps 8300 motherboard has 2 x SATA 2 ports and 2 x SATA 3 ports. The service manual has no indication of which ports are which. It just shows SATA ports numbered 0 thru 3. Does anyone know which are the desinated SATA 3 (6Gb/s link speeds). Thanks.

2 Posts

February 1st, 2011 06:00

I plugged a SATA3 6GB/s Crucial C300 SSD into port 0, and it is recognized as SATA3 in CrystalDiskInfo program. From this I would guess that port 0 and 1 are SATA3, and port 2 and 3 are SATA2.

1 Message

January 29th, 2011 00:00

I have the same question, I am about to put in an extra HDD. There seems to be different SATA cables for SATA 300 vs SATA 600.

3 Posts

January 31st, 2011 11:00

bump

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 31st, 2011 12:00

I just asked a Dell Forum Liason to look at this thread.

He may be able to post the info you want.

Ron

3 Posts

January 31st, 2011 13:00

Thanks for the assistance Ron.

The Information would be very useful, because the Sandy Bridge Chipset Problem only occurs to the SATA-II ports.

6 Posts

January 31st, 2011 15:00

In the picture I don't see SATA 2 or SATA 3 designations .... just plug identifiers ... ie sata0, sata1, sata2, and sata3

6 Posts

February 1st, 2011 06:00

Thanks for the information. I believe my system shipped with the harddrive on port 0 and the dvd drive on port1. I added a second harddrive (SATA3, I think.. WD caviar black 1TB) on port2.  I'll download CrystalDiskInfo and see what it tells me.

This info is good to know since the intel sandy bridge chipset problem just is on SATA2 ports.....

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20326

February 1st, 2011 12:00

Would be intrested too as the service manual does not say which port is SATAII and which is SATAIII. Bought an additional SSD to the included 1.5 TB disk as my OS drive ... it's a SATAII drive so I think it doesn't matter in general, but because of the Sandy Bridge bug I'd like to connect my OS HD to a SATA III port until Dell exchanges our Mainboards.

12 Posts

February 1st, 2011 18:00

How in the world is Dell going to exchange out motherboards?

Just purchased this computer and maybe I better return it until they fix this problem.

12 Posts

February 1st, 2011 18:00

So are we going to have problems with our new Dell XPS 8300 computers with this Sandy Bridge board?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2011 12:00

On Jan. 31, Intel announced a Stop Ship on its Sandy Bridge (new Core i-series) chipset.  According to Intel, ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD drives.

What currently shipping Dell products are impacted?
Effective immediately, we will remove those currently shipping Sandy Bridge platforms from our websites:
* XPS 8300 desktop
* Vostro 460 desktop
* Alienware Aurora-R3 desktop
* Alienware M17x-R3 notebook             
We will have more information next week on when these products will become available again.

There are no additional shipping XPS, Vostro, Alienware, Inspiron, Precision, Latitude, OptiPlex, PowerEdge or PowerVault products impacted by this announcement.

When will we have information for customers who have already purchased one of the impacted platforms?
* For customers who have placed their order and the order has not yet shipped, these orders are on hold and the customer will not be charged. Dell will notify these customers and determine if the customer wants the order cancelled or wish to keep the order open to be fulfilled when new production material is available
* For customers whose order has shipped but not yet arrived, these customers can refuse receipt of the shipment and it will be returned to Dell. These customers will be contacted to determine if they prefer a full refund or wish to keep the order open to be fulfilled when new production material is available
* For customers whose order has been received, we are offering two options: 
1. Customers can contact Dell within the applicable return period and arrange for a full refund and return shipment of the product 
2. Customers may continue using their systems. Once new production material is available from Intel, we will be working with customers to determine the replacement steps for their motherboards if they choose to keep their system

For any customer that has experienced a service event on their system, the two points above still apply.

When will new inventory be available that does not contain this issue? Intel expects to begin initial deliveries of the updated chipsets in late February and expects full volume recovery in April.

4 Posts

February 12th, 2012 15:00

Has there been any update on this?

7 Posts

March 16th, 2012 13:00

The blue & white ports 0 and 1 are 6 gb/s the other are 3 gb/s.

15 Posts

May 3rd, 2012 14:00

Is this only an issue in labelling or is it bigger, mine was purchased December 1st 2011, if it needs a new MOBO to refrain from problems down the road, I need to know.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 3rd, 2012 17:00

Is this only an issue in labelling or is it bigger, mine was purchased December 1st 2011, if it needs a new MOBO to refrain from problems down the road, I need to know.

Are you're asking if your motherboard has the updated Sandy Bridge chip? 

Go to cpuid.com and download CPU-Z (free). Run CPU-Z and click Mainboard tab. Look at the Chipset entry. If it says "Rev. B3" (or later), your motherboard has been updated and shouldn't have the SATA port problem that was reported in Jan-11 with Rev B2.

No Events found!