Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 16th, 2012 23:00

XPS 8500 basic system, $799.00 - extra expansion slots? How many, what kind

Hello,

I just went through one of those "customize" exercises with the XPS 8500 system that's currently priced at $799.00.  The problem I'm having is trying to figure out how many unused expansion slots are on the MB in this system, what types the slots are, etc.  This information is totally lacking in the customize menu.

The reason I'm asking is that I have expansion cards in my current PC, a Dimension 8400, that I'd like to re-install in the XPS 8500. They are;

Hauppauge Colossus HD capture card, PCIe x1
Canopus ADVC SD capture card, PCI
HT Omega Striker 7.1 HD Sound card, PCI

Given the Hauppauge card, I can do without the Canopus SD card if necessary.

Here's a summary of the basic system (I chose no add-ons, everything is "included in price", and I've left out all the software and OS info).  The "Sound Card" is "integrated", which I take to mean that it resides on the MB and doesn't use any expansion slots. 

Note that the interface for the Video Card is not shown in the specs.  So what is it?  PCI, AGP, what?

MEMORY    8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs    edit
OPTICAL DRIVE    16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD    edit
HARD DRIVE    1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s    edit
VIDEO CARD    AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5    edit
XPS 8500    XPS 8500 Fast track config04    
Chassis    XPS 8500, Black Chassis w/19:1 media card reader    
PROCESSORS    3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (up to 3.90 GHz)    
SPEAKERS    No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)    
WIRELESS    Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE    
SOUND CARD    Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4    
USB 3.0    Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet    
MONITOR    No Monitor    
Power Cord    US Power Cord    
KEYBOARD    Dell KB213 Wired Multimedia Keyboard, US-English    
MOUSE    Dell Laser Mouse

Thanks for your time,

Alan Mintaka

953 Posts

October 17th, 2012 01:00

Hi Alan Mintaka,

Following are the details of the Expansion Slots available in XPS 8500 machine:

To summarize, this machine has:

1. One Mini PCIe Slot
  2. Three PCI Express x1 Slot
  3. One PCI Express x16 Slot

Please reply if you have any further questions.

50 Posts

October 17th, 2012 18:00

Hello Zohaib,

Are those slots all spares?  The base system comes with a AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5  video card.  Is this plugged into one of those slots, or does it have a dedicated slot?  

The "SOUND CARD" is described as "Integrated", so I'm assuming that it's onboard.   Is that correct?

Also, the USB 3.0 connector is described as "Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet ".    This mixes up two different connection types.  Does the XPS have both types of connectors?

Finally, there is a generic "Optical Drive" whose connection type is not shown.  Is it SATA?  If so, is it SATA2?

I confess that I'm getting a little uneasy about the lack of details and inconsistencies in the product descriptions for this system.  The questions I've been asking are very basic.  The answers really ought to be present in the product descriptions.

Thanks,

Alan Mintaka

22 Posts

October 17th, 2012 20:00

Hi, I recently purchased an XPS 8500 - I found all the specs, etc. here.  My AMD Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5 is in the PCI Express x16 slot and I had 2 free PCI Express x1 slots (the one closest to the video card needs a card that doesn't require alot of space or cables - the video card is big).  I have installed an IDE card to use an old HDD with no issues.  My system came with a 32GB SSD drive which occupies the mSATA slot (it is configured as system cache).

I remember at time when full and complete specs were easily available on the information pages before you configured your system.  They're harder to find now, but they're there.

I hope this helps.

Cynthia

22 Posts

October 17th, 2012 20:00

Sorry, I missed putting in the link:  

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Cynthia

953 Posts

October 18th, 2012 07:00

Hi Alan Mintaka,

The XPS 8500 ships with integrated graphic (Standard) option, but the user can opt to buy a separate discrete graphics card. In your case you have chosen AMD Radeon HD7570. This graphics card is a PCI Express 2.1 x 16 Graphics card and will fit in the only one x 16 slot on the motherboard. So this slot is not free.

Yes, this computer has Integrated Audio. There is no separate sound card in it.

There are two top-panel and four back-panel USB 2.0 connectors, and two back-panel and two front-panel USB 3.0 connectors.

A NIC (Network Interface Controller) is a computer hardware component that enables a computer to connect to a computer network. The XPS 8500 has an integrated Realtek RTL8111F-CG  fast-ethernet controller which supports speeds of 10/100/1000 Mbps. There is one RJ-45 connector for this.

There are four 7-pin connectors (1 x SATA III, 3 x SATA II) on the motherboard. The optical drive can be connected to any of these slots. Currently shipping drives are SATA II.

In addition to the above information you can find all your requested details in the following link, this file is available for free download.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps8500/en/specs/spec_en.pdf

Please reply if you have any further questions.

4.4K Posts

May 17th, 2013 01:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.            

No Events found!