Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2017 22:00

XPS 8500, can't access BIOS via normal methods

Hello all,

I've got an XPS 8500 that I can't seem to access the BIOS on. When I power the machine on and see the Dell logo appear, I don't get any text or instructions for accessing BIOS.

I know with most machines BIOS is accessed by Esc, F1, F2, F8, F10, F12, Del, or Tab. I've tried them all, pressing continuously from the moment the power button is pressed up until Windows prompts me to login (about 10 seconds), and have had no response from anything except Tab. 

When I press Tab, I get a blue progress bar/timer under the Dell logo for about 5 seconds, and a text instruction that says "Press F12 for Boot Options", but nothing else. If I press F12, nothing happens. If I repeat that and spam F12 just like I would other keys to access BIOS, I still get nothing. 

At this point I'm suspecting:

• either post is too fast since I see no text instructions/miscellaneous loading information, copyright info, etc.
  • or the keyboard I'm using isn't registering key presses fast enough or initializing soon enough

I previously used another keyboard and had no problems accessing the BIOS but no longer have that keyboard available to test with, nor another keyboard for that matter.

If I remember correctly, I did have to update my BIOS recently to version A12 for, I believe, compatibility with a graphics card upgrade I did. But again, I'm certain I was still able to access the BIOS previously without problems using the other keyboard.

I'm stumped. Aside from removing the CMOS battery, which I'm hesitant to do, I'm not sure there is any other way to force the BIOS prompt to appear with instructions on how to access it. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium so I don't have the Windows 8/10 advanced boot/BIOS options available to try.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 14th, 2017 03:00

If you have Windows 10 and "fast startup" enabled on most systems you will not be able to access the BIOS at power on.  However, you should be able to access it if you do a "Restart" from Windows 10.  

The fast startup can be disabled in the Power options.  I have it disabled in mine so I can access the BIOS if needed at power on,.

To access the panel to disable fast startup, Click on "Settings" then "System" then "Power and Sleep".

Click "Additional Power Settings" on the right side of the Panel.  In the next Panel, click on "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left side. Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" so that you can uncheck the box for "fast startup" then click Save Changes.

Here is my power panel showing fast startup unchecked.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 14th, 2017 10:00

Just power on and **IMMEDIATELY** press F2 to open BIOS setup. You have to be quick or you miss the opportunity...

No Events found!