Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2013 19:00

XPS 8700 SSD Upgrade

Hello!

Just bought a XPS 8700 and would like to swap the hard-rive out and put in Samsung 840 Pro SSD in.Could use some guidance, their is a msata on this board so it should not be a problem.

Anything special I have do do in the bios other than select the new drive?

will the OS install on another drive? If yes just do a backup and re-install on new drive? or do I need to get a new retail copy of windows 8 to do this?

Opening it wont void the warranty as I can upgrade the drive and memory, but if i have any issues i have to send it back to dell in the original state i purchased it in correct?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 20th, 2013 20:00

Hi chrisyackulic,

mSATA drive uses the SSD technology to make the system faster. If you replace the normal mechanical hard drive with SSD hard drive the IRST technology feature would be nullified.

However, to use the SSD on the system please change the SATA operation mode in the BIOS from IRST to AHCI. You will need an operating system reinstallation disc to install it on the system. Backing up the image will not work as the SATA operation mode is different with previous hard drive.

You can use the link below for placing a request for operating system reinstallation disc.

http://dell.to/TmYffg

If you are not able to place a request for the disc from the link above, then please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check what can be done. To send a private message, click on my name and select start conversation.

Replacing of hard drive or memory on the system will not void the warranty.

3 Posts

October 18th, 2013 08:00

I'm considering the XPS 8700.

Like the OP, I want to install an 840 Pro SSD as the boot/OS drive.

My question is, should the mSATA drive be physically removed from the mobo, or will the BIOS change basically by-pass it?

(I'd like to ensure it doesn't cause a bandwidth bottleneck)

Thank you.

2 Posts

April 10th, 2014 15:00

I've recently bought 2 XPS 8700's and am interested in adding an mSATA card onto the motherboard, but keep the existing 1TB HD as a slave drive.  Dell tells me the only authorized card (for the XPS 8700) is a 32GB card with Dell part # H9R7V (@ $100), but that seems very limiting.  Ideally I'd like to add a larger card (128 or 256GB) and move the win 8.1 operating files (and maybe MS Office) to this SSD. 

Physically adding the sSATA drive onto the mobo looks easy, and I see your suggestion to change the SATA operation mode in the BIOS (from IRST to AHCI).  Would like to understand which mSATA drives are safe to use with this mobo, and steps to walk me thru the software transfer, as well as any other setup steps (change boot sequence, turn off 1TB as a boot drive, etc).  Even how to back out if things go south.  I've also requested the operating system reinstall disc from Dell.

thx.

3 Posts

December 5th, 2014 07:00

I received my 8700 today with the 256GB SSD and after spending an hour updating all the drivers...it appears that incredibly the OS has been installed on the 2TB storage instead of the SSD! I may return because I don't think I should have to spend hours fixing mis-installation on a top line thousand dollar+ machine,  but if I were to try and move it myself, what is the correct order?

1) Request the re installation media here

2) Go into BIOS (F2 at boot) and "change the SATA operation mode in the BIOS from IRST to AHCI."

3) Insert DVD, reboot

4) At the Dell Logo press F12 and do a clean install to the SSD off of DVD media based on these instructions

5) Reformat the storage drive (which Dell currently has the OS on)

6) Manually install all the missing drivers

Is this the correct order/ process?

3 Posts

December 5th, 2014 08:00

What make is the SSD?

Check the device manager to see what make and model of SSD it is, and then check the mfg's site for migration software.

e.g. Samsung's Migration Assistant does an outstanding job of migrating from an HD to the SSD in about 3 clicks.

That's the first option I'd try.

3 Posts

December 5th, 2014 08:00

Yes, I have the Samsung SSD PM830 mSATA 256GB that comes by default in the XPS 8700 SE.

I will check out the tool, thanks for the tip.

3 Posts

December 5th, 2014 10:00

Here's the link for Samsung data migration software.

Also, after the migration, install the Samsung Magician software - it does maintenance and testing of the SSD.

www.samsung.com/.../downloads.html

No Events found!