Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2017 08:00

XPS 8910, CAD software, insufficient CPU

Hello,

I work with a Dell XPS 8910 running Windows 10 Home, x64, 32GB RAM, and an Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz. There is a certain CAD software we use for one of our machines, but while calculating the machining, if there are too many parts, the CPU frequency will peg out at 115%, causing the calculation process to stop and restart over and over and over, even though the processor usage only says it is at 17%. Ironically, I had this same software on my Precision 390 running Windows XP with an Intel Core 3 processor and never had this problem. Is there a way to boost the frequency of the i7 processor, can I add a processor to help out, or is there just a different processor compatible with the XPS 8910 that I should be using?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 7th, 2017 09:00

This won't help you but I would say you purchased the wrong machine for commercial CAD type use.  The XPS line is generally aimed at home consumers.  The Dell OptiPlex and Precision systems are the business line and the right model there would be what should have been purchased.

The 8910 has a "Z170" motherboard (what I have) and the 6700 is the best compatible CPU.  There is the 6700K (overclockable) CPU but I don't think the XPS line can be overclocked.

My recording studio system is a Z170 with an  I7 6700K but I've never had to overclock.  I never reach maximum CPU loading  even with multiple CPU intensive MIDI tracks.

307 Posts

December 7th, 2017 10:00

In my opinion the i7 processor is not the problem if the CAD software runs fine on an i3 processor. It seems more likely that the CAD software has a problem with Windows 10 or you don't have the BIOS update that fixes the hyper threading issue. An XPS 8910/i7/Windows 10 system should easily outperform a Precision 390/I3/Windows XP system of equal memory.

1.2K Posts

December 7th, 2017 12:00

What is the CAD software? What version? How is it configured? Does it have any settings to offload processing to the graphics card? What graphics card do you have?

Lots of questions I know. Please provide more info and we might be able to help you get it working better.

2 Posts

December 7th, 2017 13:00

The software is a Belgian/Spanish software (translated into English) called Cadman, version 24, released in 2004 I believe. It is designed for nesting parts for punch presses and lasers. It may very well be a compatibility issue as suggested by vtov116. I have the latest BIOS update from Dell (11/2017). This system actually has two graphics cards as far as I can tell, an Intel HD Graphics 530 and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti. I know the software at least fairly well, but I don't know of any way to offload processing from within the program. I have asked the manufacturer, but they have yet to respond.

No Events found!