Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2013 18:00

XPS One 24 USB Ports Not Working

I'm working on this for a friend, none of the USB ports are working. It doesn't recognize a wired or wireless mouse/keyboard but boots to Windows without error. Obviously I can't get into the setup to see if ports were disabled. Any suggestions? Bad motherboard?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 14:00

Before going for a new motherboard, maybe this will work. It has worked for other systems...

1. Get an external USB hub with its own power brick.
  2. Plug the brick into the wall and the hub into a rear USB port.
  3. Connect mouse and keyboard to the powered hub and boot.
  4. If things work, reboot again to confirm.
  5. Then, without disconnecting the hub from either wall or PC, disconnect the keyboard from the hub and connect it to a different rear USB port.
  6. Reboot
  7. If keyboard continues to work, reboot again. If keyboard still works, repeat the process with the mouse
  8. Reboot again when both are connected directly to the PC, but with the hub still connnected to the PC.

Assuming both keyboard and mouse now work when connected directly to the PC, power off and disconnect the hub from the PC and reboot again. If you're lucky, both will work now without the hub. But if they only work when connected through the powered hub, you have a relatively less expensive work-around.

Not sure this is the right board (refurbished), but check it out. And you can always call Dell Spare Parts.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 31st, 2013 19:00

What version of Windows?

If you reboot and press F2 or F8 before windows starts to load, does that work?

16 Posts

March 31st, 2013 20:00

Windows 7. No response during POST either.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 1st, 2013 13:00

You can try this:

1. Power off and unplug
  2. Disconnect all peripherals
  3. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  4. Reconnect mouse and keyboard and see if it works now

16 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 06:00

Unfortunately it didn't work. How much is a new motherboard for this thing?

16 Posts

April 5th, 2013 17:00

Sadly this didnt work. Once the hub is connected the lights on mouse and keyboard cut off.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 5th, 2013 18:00

I don't understand...

The mouse and keyboard should be connected through the powered hub the first time you boot with the hub connected .

So please explain what you mean "once the hub is connected the lights on mouse and keyboard cut off."

16 Posts

April 5th, 2013 20:00

Yeah I had them connected at boot. My mouse glows blue so once Windows is loaded the mouse isnt glowing. If I unplug

the powered hub from the computer the mouse starts glowing. (Turns on). I power cycled the computer with the hub plugged in to each USB with the same results.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 6th, 2013 12:00

I still don't think you're doing this right!  :emotion-7:

If you disconnect the powered hub, the mouse should be disconnected too. The mouse and keyboard should be connected through the externally powered hub, not directly to the PC.

You want the powered hub to be powering the mouse and keyboard for the first round to see if you can get USB devices to start working again.

16 Posts

April 9th, 2013 12:00

I assure you, I am. Keyboard and mouse in hub, hub in computer, power on. Nothing still works.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 9th, 2013 13:00

Just wanted to make sure I understand what you did because I can't see your PC from here. :emotion-2:

Are you doing this testing with wired or wireless mouse and keyboard? Wired would be better for testing.

What happens if you boot from a bootable CD or DVD eg, the Dell Windows Reinstallation disk, with the wired mouse and keyboard connected through the powered USB hub?

No Events found!