Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2015 12:00

XPS One 2710 -- Touch Screen NOT working at all

My touch screen is not available on my 2710.  It worked fine for a very long time.

Calibration is not available...System->About says "No pen or touch input is available for this display."

I noticed after I upgraded to Windows 10.   (but that's not necessarily the precise time is dropped out, as I don't use it a lot)

I then downgraded back to 8.   Not there.   Figured that I might as well go back to Windows 10.

I did other things within same rough period of time.   BIOS upgraded to A12.   Changed out some drivers, etc.

I've tried drivers, checked the touch cable connection on the motherboard...but haven't made a single step forward.

Would love to hear some suggestions or ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

November 4th, 2015 12:00

My XPS 2710 Monitor with touch is WORKING.  I've not had a problem at all, even during the preview builds. I believe the missing element is the Dell OSD Application that can be downloaded here: Link 

I did do a clean install of Windows 10, not sure if that matters.  I also went and installed all Dell Drivers as well. I recommend entering your service tag to get drivers specific to your configuration.  Select Windows 8.1 in the drop down. 

Since the 2720 is supported by Dell, I also installed some select drivers there.  I cannot remember which ones specifically. 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

From Win-X menu, open Device Manager and search for Human Interface Devices. Expand the HID list

Right-click HID-compliant touch screen and from the list of options displayed,  make sure it's set to Enabled. Then reboot.

Note that Dell hasn't tested the 2710 for support of Win 10, but touch should work in Win 8.1

Not seeing it.   I went through each and don't see touch screen named inside.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 1st, 2015 17:00

What version of Windows is running now?

Touch may be one of those consumer- or vendor-defined devices, which may mean a driver is missing.

Saw this on another forum about a Dell Inspiron AIO, but I have no idea if it will work for you, so manually set a System Restore point before you try it, just to be safe.

Open Device Manager and look for the Monitor entry. Right-click and uninstall it. Exit Device Manager and reboot. In that other forum, the monitor driver was reinstalled on reboot and touch started working.

October 1st, 2015 22:00

Thanks.  I'm running Windows 10 currently.

I uninstalled the monitor as you suggested, but it came back with same driver and same problem

But...I think you might be on to something...this caught my eye before, but forgot to put in original note.

The monitor shows as "Generic PnP Monitor"

What do others show for this?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 2nd, 2015 12:00

Don't know what Win 10 Device Manager should say about the monitor in your AIO. May not necessarily be a problem because that's what Windows says about my (non-touch) Asus monitor connected to this desktop. But it's possible Win 10's driver doesn't support touch. Don't know where you'd find another/better driver.

Keep in mind that Dell hasn't tested the 2710 for compatibility with Win 10, so your touch issue could be an incompatibility.

Touch should work with Win 8.1, so you have to decide whether to revert and try to restore touch or keep Win 10 without touch unless/until somebody comes up with a fix.

There is always the possibility the touch screen failed and won't ever work again. Don't think you can rule that out right now. There's also a USB cable from the touch screen to the motherboard which is required for touch to work. It's "major surgery" to work inside an AIO, so I don't think you should mess around inside. .

You could install the free Classic Shell and make Win 8.1 look/work like Win 7, if your reason for updating to Win 10 was to get the Start button and classic desktop back.

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 10:00

I'm having the exact same problem. Upgraded to Window 10, touch stopped working. Haven't opened the case, so do not suspect hardware issue. I went back to windows 8.1, still no joy. I am currently running 8.1 and have the same issue with the monitor, it shows as generic PNP. Will start to track that a little further today.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2015 17:00

Win 10 has been shown to damage certain brands of LCD panels, so it's possible that's what happened here, meaning touch may not work again, regardless of the OS.

Either of you up for a clean reinstall of Win 8.1, instead of just reverting back from Win 10? That might fix the problem, but no guarantees.

If you decide to wipe the HDD and do a clean install, be sure to back up all your personal files on external media first, and make sure you have the installation media and product keys for any software you need, eg Microsoft Office, etc.

October 13th, 2015 11:00

Can anyone with XPS One 2710 please show me your monitor device driver screens for Windows 8.1 as well as Windows 10? 

Further, does anyone with Windows 10 successfully have touch screen working properly?

Thank you very much in advance.    Here are mine.

Rick

2 Posts

October 13th, 2015 12:00

UPDATE:

Since I had already dropped back to 8.1 from 10, I decided I had nothing to lose by doing a full recovery. So backed up my user files and did a wipe re-install from the thumb drive I created after receiving this box. That solved my touch screen issues. Touch screen works as before, so now re-installing apps and files. So the problem with 10 is clearly softwarre and drivers. I will keep this machine on 8.1 until I read that someone has solved the driver issue.  EDITORIAL FLAME ON: I realize that there are probably MILLIONS of hardwre/ driver combinations out there, but somebody will make a billion bucks if they can finally figure this out and make upgrading the OS a simple process. I know it is a totally unfair comparison, but my very limited experience with Mac products is much more straight forward. But then, that is one thing you gain with an almost completely closed hardware/ driver architecture. FLAME OFF. Just for reference, this is the fourth system I have upgraded from 8.1 to 10, all touch screen devices from three different manufacturers (Dell, HP, Microsoft) and the touch has failed on three of them. The fourth is having problems recognizing the Bluetooth keyboard.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 13th, 2015 12:00

Touch may actually work as a USB device, so are you looking in the right place for a solution? Do you have any "unknown" entries in Device Manager? Look at what's connected to each USB root hub entry in Device Manager to see if there are any issues.

You might consider manually setting a System Restore point, and then uninstalling all USB root hubs in Device Manager and then rebooting, which should reinstall the USB ports. Back up your personal files on external media first, too. I'm not responsible if something goes wrong. :emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 13th, 2015 13:00

One of my Dell contacts just provided this link which has Win 10 touch drivers.

CAVEAT: The driver may or may not work for any particular PC model, so be sure to set a system restore point and back up your data on external media first.  And pay attention to the screen requirements shown on that page.

Be sure to post back and tell everyone whether this driver works for you or not...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 13th, 2015 13:00

So backed up my user files and did a wipe re-install from the thumb drive I created after receiving this box. That solved my touch screen issues.

Was going to suggest a clean Win 8.1 install, but afraid I'd suffer the heat of your "Editorial Flame"  :emotion-60:

Anyone up for a clean install of Win 10 to see if that solves the touch problem?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 14th, 2015 13:00

Anyone try that touch driver?

Curious minds want to know! :emotion-15:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 26th, 2015 18:00

Anyone try that touch driver?

Curious minds want to know! :emotion-15:

Still waiting for somebody to tell us if that Win 10 touch driver actually works, or not!

Lots of users really want to know. 

How 'bout it, guys?

No Events found!