Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 22nd, 2008 22:00

Xps 420 + 5.25" power supply

Ok i have an XPS 420 and it has the 375 watt power supply. I want to upgrade the Graphics card to a GTX 260. my power supply only has 1-6 pin connector and i don't want to get an new power supply and don't want to use pin connectors. i was looking into a 325 watt 5.25" Bay power supply to power the GTX 260. does this sound like a good idea. i don't know that i would have to remove the 5.25" bay cover so it could air in to the power supply to cool it.

137 Posts

November 24th, 2008 01:00

I don't know how the 375W rails are configured internally, but even if the two 12V rails are electrically separate, the chances are that the GPU feed and the other ancillary devices are on the same rail.  If designing two rails, the one device likely to have its own rail would be the CPU, I'd guess.

So your Molex to PCIe idea will reduce the load going down the leads to the installed PCIe connector, but I'm guessing that it won't make any difference to the PSU.  As a detail, my 410 doesn't have any Molex connectors, only SATA, so I suspect you might need to search around for a SATA to PCIe connector if you are determined to do this on your 420.

Going back to the Dell solution, simply splitting the one PCIe feed onto the two sockets on the GPU, this works for the 8800GTX.  As Watts = Volts x Amps, and according to the Dell PSU itself the limit is 18 amps on each of the 12V rails, that tells you that the limit is 216 Watts on each rail. If you're lucky your new card will include a PCIe splitter.

Just to go over the numbers - from sources previously quoted, a standard 260 will draw a maximum of 182W, your anciliary devices probably won't take more than a single digit number of Watts off the 12V rails, say 190W altogether, so that's 12% headroom against the quoted spec, and experience of Dell PSUs is that they are pretty conservatively rated anyway.  And that assumes you manage to max out the card, which you probably won't unless you're playing on a 24 or 30 inch monitor, and/or playing Crysis at full quality settings.

Now, it is possible that you might have a poor sample of PSU that is below par on the current it can support and a wide of tolerance GPU that consumes more power than makers state (and hardware sites have tested).  That might just leave you short of power when maxed out, but that's three big assumptions, two of which are very unlikely and all of which have to be out in the wrong direction.  So if you end up with game crashes you buy a new PSU, but I don't expect this to happen.  Bear in mind that if you overclock your CPU or GPU with software tools, then power demand goes up considerably, and chances are that the existing 375W may not be enough.  I can't see any reason why you'd want to overclock a 260 or a Quad core, but some people do it!

regards

Led

137 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 00:00

The 375W PSU powers 8800GTX cards fine (like in my E6600 XPS 410), and the power demand of a maxed out GTX260 is around 182W, compared to the 8800GTX that uses 177W.  The full system demand with a maxed out GTX260 (or 8800GTX) is only around 240W (maybe 300W if you've got a less efficient CPU), so you've plenty of headroom with the 375W PSU, and as the default cooling is adequate for the 8800GTX, it will be for the GTX260 - and at idle, or in 2D mode, the GTX260 will probably use a lot less power than the older and less efficient 8800GTX. 

The Dell supplied 8800GTX's used a Y splitter to feed the two 6 pin PCIE connections from the single six pin PCIe lead off the PSU, so I'd suggest doing the same.  I follow your reluctance to use connectors, but I can assure you the Dell setup works well.  Your solution of a drive bay PSU would work from an electrical point of view, but strikes me as complex and unnecessary, and unless you're buying a well known brand, you may be installing a poorer quality PSU than you've already got.  For the effort involved, if you really aren't happy with the 375W PSU, then I'd say replace that with a decent Antec, Seasonic or Zalman PSU, rather than fit a compromised secondary PSU that could well disrupt the existing air paths in the computer (even worse, a cheap one might feed its waste heat into the case).  Because the 4nn series machines don't have rear extract case fans, but use the PSU fan to pull the heat out, the additional drag of a front exiting drive bay PSU fan could upset the fairly finely balanced case cooling in unforeseen ways - perhaps causing localised dead spots around the Northbridge .  You will have to remove a drive bay cover for a secondary PSU.  Maybe it would work fine, but I wouldn't go there personally.

If you put in an 2 GPU card or a GTX280, then you'd be a lot closer to the 375W PSU's limit (technically still well within the 375W), and you'd have to consider case cooling issues, depending on use and ambient temperatures, but anything short of that you shouldn't have any problems.

Regards

Led

7 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 08:00

see my computer came with the radeon hd 2400 pro 128mb. I does have 1 6 pin. but the the GTX 260 requires 32A at the rail. if i use the y splitter i only have 1 molex. so i would have to also use something like a sata-->molex to have the sencond power on the Y splitter.

by the way my system specs are

Q6600

1TB harddrive

320GB harddrive

one optical drive

375 watt power supply.

137 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 12:00

Well, ignoring the makers spec, all the tests show the 260 and the 8800GTX as neck and neck in power demand.  In my case that's coming off one rail, no problems.  And if you're running anything 22 inch widescreen and under, chances are that you won't maxing the 260 out anyway.

Give it a try with the existing PSU.  If you don't like the results then you're highly unlikely to damage the system, and can then reconsider whether you want a drive bay PSU (nooooooo!) or a new system PSU, but I'd anticipate you won't see any problems.

Regards

Led

7 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 19:00

what if i went with the GTX 260 core 216 SC i just ordered it. $240 not bad. i'll give it a try on the PSU. now let me get this right i have 1-6 pin so i'll have to get a sata to molex connector then use the one molex i do have with that to power the GPU. i guess i don't hurt to try.

7 Posts

November 24th, 2008 09:00

thank you for all your input it really helps. by the way i only have a 22" dell monitor. i should get the card here some day this week so i'll have to give it a try.

the GTX 260 core 216 Superclock is already Overclocked from the Mauf. that's not including the small over clock that i will be doing. I'll have to see if it works.

591 Posts

November 27th, 2008 18:00

This is a bit late but I've been away for a while.  I think this is what the OP was referring to as a 5 1/2" PSU.  It's an add on and works with the existing 375 PSU.  

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/10/review_fsp_booster_x3/

7 Posts

November 27th, 2008 19:00

yeap thats what i'm talking about but i'm going to get the this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104054

1.4K Posts

November 28th, 2008 04:00

My opinion;

For that kind of money, you would be better off just upgrading

Examples

You could save money if you're willing to wait for a rebate and you would be upgrading to a single power supply that will do the job more efficiently without adding a heatsource to the box.

2nd attempt

591 Posts

November 28th, 2008 05:00

True, but works OK for some with older computers that take only dell PSU's and don't want to spend alot on a Dell PSU from PC Power and Cooling.  Also depends on ones definition of allot of money. lol.

1.4K Posts

November 28th, 2008 05:00

PCP&C's pricing has gotten much better, years ago it was $150 for the Silencer470 "D" and $100 for the regular 470.

The difference between the newer 500 "D' and regular 500 is much less, with the "D" model being less expensive at the moment.

( the physical difference between the 2 unit's is the lack of a switch and shorter length  [by 10 mm] of the "D" model )

link 

For any machine with an open back it's not a worry though, since any unit, with or without a switch, can be used.

Note: Either of the PCP&C 500 watt unit's would provide enough power for the OP's system.

1 Message

February 17th, 2009 08:00

So it is ok to upgrade the power supply on a 420?  I was looking for something in the 650 watt range, any suggestions?  Thanks!

1.7K Posts

February 17th, 2009 09:00

So it is ok to upgrade the power supply on a 420?  I was looking for something in the 650 watt range, any suggestions?  Thanks!

Yes, as long as it has an open back and not screened in. 

Corsair

OCZ

Antec

1 Message

April 29th, 2009 16:00

OK CHECK THIS I HAVE A XPS 420 that has a power supply of 375 i bought x5 booster from newegg it slides in 5.25" has all the cables u need to run an NVIDIA 295 with out no problems i had radion 3800hd that came with my system i have 8 gig of ram 750gig harddrive with the 24whd dell monitor now with this new video card this system is running like a dream running Empire total war with graphics at max no lagg the X5 Booster from newegg has all the wires to plug any video card out there its 450w dedicated with the xps 420   works great the Nvidia BFG GTX 295 fits perfect on my systems i have had no issues card works great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      this is what u need for those looking to see if your system has enough power for new cards this X5 BOOSTER will resolve all your power requierment needs

122 Posts

August 23rd, 2009 19:00

Hey awillis98 i would not recommend getting the GTX 260. I also have a dell xps 420 and the dell supervisior i spoke to told me that the GTX 260 is 10.5 inches long, if you look in your case it would not do, this is because when you look at where the GTX 260s fan will be positioned it will be right up against the processor shroud. This will cause overheating problems. I have an EVGA GEFORCE GTS 250 1gb SC. I bought this on dells site and it worked fine with my 375 watt power supply so get this. If you look it has better speeds than the GTX 260 anyway. Also it is 9.5 inches long and in my case it has plenty of breathing room. The card works great trust me.

No Events found!