Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2007 23:00

Xps 720 h2c experience ruined by loud buzzing psu!!

Hi All

I read your posts and also have a loud buzzing/crackling psu also on my new xps 720 h2c in the uk only had it set up a week!!

Im really annoyed as i spent as much as possible £5000 with a 30 inch monitor the works on what i thought would be the best pc i could buy a dell......

was looking forward to it all and this noise is just ruining my whole experience of using the machine (i use it as little as i can now to avoid it!!!), i have tinnitus also so dont need further incessant noise when i am trying to relax.

Planning to escalate this but want /need the least stressful way to a resolution, will Dell fit a different companies psu supply to sort out the problem if i kick up enough fuss??

i have had to underclock it from 3.46ghz down to 2.66ghz!! to try and reduce the noise, totally the opposite reason of why i bought the pc!!....

such a shame bad reflection on dell as the rest of the pc is great/so quiet but this continual loud, shrill noise is totally unacceptable...

how are you getting on with yours uk guys..?

i would see about buying my own psu and fitting it (£250 more out of my own pocket!!) but that will void the warranty and i have already paid for the max four years to make sure i have the minimum hassle - so im stuck and 5k out of pocket/unhappy :-(

Help please and, Thanks for listening....

Bryan3D

552 Posts

August 22nd, 2007 05:00

Sorry to say your stuck with the dell psu.Call dell will be free to exchange.

305 Posts

August 22nd, 2007 08:00

I wish, Chris would stickie the PSU threads..

this is a known issue, but only seams to affect UK customers..

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2007 11:00

DarkMyst,

Write up a summary of the issue, workarounds etc and I will float it.

48 Posts

August 28th, 2007 14:00

Il wrote:

Power supply noise issue: This PSU has a noticable crackle sound that get's louder under load. The sound is apparently caused by a vibrating coil and has also been described as a buzz or even cicada noise!

Apparently this only affects European models, and I can hear it the moment I open the door to the study - very annoying that the (very expensive) liquid cooled H2C beast is so quiet except for the badly designed PSU.

Customer Care have acknowledged that it is a known issue, and that there is no point replacing the PSU as it will exhibit the same symptoms - this implies that all units are affected?

I've been unofficially informed that (the PSU manufacturer) "Lite on made some changes but to be honest, the noise level is below our minimum specifications." :-(

However, my last contact with XPS Technical Support in Ireland revealed that the issue has been passed to Dell "International Product Support" for investigation and an update will be posted on the Dell Support site once the issue is resolved. When I asked to speak to "International Product Support", I was told that someone from the XPS Support management team would call me back today - I will update here later if the call comes.

Interestingly I was told a few weeks ago that the issue was being handled by "Product Engineering" rather than "International Product Support". Either way, I have no intention of letting this rest until I am satisfied Dell are taking reasonable steps to resolve my issue.

The rest of my 720 H2C issues have been painstakingly worked out, but I'm pretty bitter about this buzzing power supply (especially after my computer novice friend bragged that his PC from Tesco was quieter). I bought this rig after seeing & hearing a US colleague's 710 H2C - his PSU had no hint of buzz or crackle - just a very quiet fan noise.

305 Posts

September 3rd, 2007 11:00

Hi

The PSU's are made by Delta. but, you are right about everything else. Ive had to clock my machine to 2.66 and run the memory at 800mz, just to try and shut the psu up.But as soon as i load any game, or advanced graphic package, the crackle starts. As some of you are aware I've been fighting Dell over the psu crackle since febuary, when i first highlighted the issue.

Personaly speaking i will be taking another trip to Dell in Glasgow soon, but this time, i will not be bring my pc home, they can either fix it, or keep it. Remember guys, under uk trading standards .. we have the right to return a machine, if it is not fixed. And the company has been informed of the problem.

Darkmyst

48 Posts

September 7th, 2007 16:00

Thanks DarkMyst for the update - please do let us know how the Glasgow visit goes!

I've been in contact again with XPS Technical Support in Ireland who have assured me that this issue has been escalated to {take your pick: "Production Support", "International Product Support", "Product Engineering"}, and it is being treated as a priority case.

Unfortunately this department has not given any indication as to the problem status or ETA of a resolution, and it seems they are effectively uncontactable - certainly for consumers.

Since Dell will not keep me officially informed about this issue (despite me calling, emailing, live chatting, blog comments on direct2dell.com and posts on this forum), I am currently wondering how long I wait before I return the whole system.

Even if the issue is sorted this year (not likely given hardware design modification is  required), there is also the matter of compensation. I feel this is warranted as according to the UK Sale of Goods Act "... the repair or replacement must be carried out within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience to the consumer".

I feel quite the fool now - I purchased this system because I was impressed with a friends (quiet) US model XPS 710 H2C, and wanted a hassle free, factory supported high end gaming rig that would just work out of the box. I have already spent more time and effort dealing with issues and chasing Dell than I would have had ordering from any number of bespoke PC building outfits - and although the rig is amazing in almost every other respect, all I can think about when I walk into the study is the freaking PSU crackle, how much it all cost me and the fact that Dell is ignoring me :-(

I feel a little better with that off my chest. Have a good weekend all.

5 Posts

September 14th, 2007 19:00

Hi guys. Just wanted to add to this post. I also have a 710 H2C system. Since buying it around 6 months ago the buzzing noise form the PSU has been driving me crazy.  I have called TS so many times I've lost count. Each time I have been told this has been escalated, is a know issue, etc etc. As yet nothing has been fixed. No-one has called me back.  I'm absolutely disgusted that after buying a £3000+ system Dell cannot sort this issue out. In fact last time I called I was told that this is just the way it is and I basically have to lump it or like it!

I wouldn't hold your breath that this is going to fixed anytime soon.  The only way I've found to get rid of it, is to remove one of the GFX cards!

305 Posts

September 16th, 2007 18:00

Ok guys,,, here is a update. but dont jump up and down, as it is only a start, and I dont know what the final results will be.

In the next day or so, im expecting delivery of a test psu from dell, It's a modified 1 kw unit. Until i fit it, i cant say if theyve fix the issue or not. I will like always update you all on the results of the tests.

DarkMyst

305 Posts

September 17th, 2007 18:00

Hi Guys

Modified PSU arrived today, fitted and now testing it. So far I must say that thinks look good, or is that sound. :smileyvery-happy:

DarkMyst

6 Posts

September 17th, 2007 19:00

Hi DarkMyst,

Thanks for the updates........ mines buzzing away as I write this post giving me a headache, dell have offered me a refund.. not decide what to do yet awaiting your updates and dont want to find new issues with a new diff make of pc...

know any good ones, i was looking at mesh?... or cyberpower..?

Anyway, is there any noise or just less/do you know what they have changed, or have they bodged one together thats not in full production.

How long do you reckon it would take us to get hold of a vaild new version psu?

Are there any other issues with the pc that you have so i can decide if i keep mine or send it back..

Many Thanks

48 Posts

October 3rd, 2007 16:00

Good work Dark "LabRat" Myst :-)

Do you know what the next step for us is?

There is still no whiff of a solution from the XPS support team in Ireland.

305 Posts

October 3rd, 2007 20:00

Hi

Ok heres an update for the ones watching this thread, ive had the test psu running for the last few weeks, theres not crackles, pops, bangs etc..

Its just like a normal PSU.. :smileyvery-happy:

I have report the results back to Dell as requested. Next from what i know Dell has to approve the results, after that i guess the factory can alter production for them. I suggested to Dell that they modify some units, and start doing replacements, and then modify the returned ones, so on.

If i here anything further i will keep you all informed, Finally results show this was only a UK issue, I have never found out why.

DarkMyst

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2007 21:00

Good stuff,

Thanks for the info

sounds promising.... is it a proper fix and not a fire risk/bodge etc.....

im off to the usa in a few weeks so hopefully this will have moved along while i am away as i need to keep the pc running for now planning my trip.

Bryan

48 Posts

October 9th, 2007 10:00

Good news DarkMyst :-)

I'm just off the phone from XPS Support - no real news from them as usual. This is what I was told...
"Dell Product Engineering" has told the manufactuer of the noise, and the manufacter replied "working as intended". There is no way to escalate or otherwise find out what is going on.

He did also comment that he would have expected many more support calls if every UK unit was affected. Not sure why this is... it's such an alarming short-circuit sound to my ears anyway.

He offered to replace the PSU with an identical one (politely declined at this time), and also confirmed that I should not have a problem getting a full system refund as I reported the issue the day after the unit was delivered.

Like Mr 3D above, I am not sure how long I should wait before I send the system back for a refund - the longer I leave it the harder it will be to get a refund. I think I will call customer service and ask them!

Another tactic may be to keep getting the PSU swapped out until it affects someones budget - but I will be sad if I feel compelled to resort to this.

4 Posts

November 5th, 2007 21:00

Also, is it the same PSU that they get in the States and it just doesn't make noise if you run if at 110v or is it a different PSU altogether?
No Events found!