Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2016 21:00

Xps 8900 power button blinking orange

Right out of the box plugged it in and power light began to blink orange work do anything else.

Any help with this?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 16th, 2016 16:00

Try this:

1. Power off and remove power cable from rear of PC, not just from the wall
  2. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  3. Reconnect power cable to rear of PC
  4. See if it boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected

If that doesn't help and you purchased it directly from Dell, contact Dell Support right away. Within the first 30 days from invoice date (not delivery date) you can send it back. Then order another one from their sales site.

If you purchased it from a "Big Box" store, take it back to the store and exchange it for another system.

February 23rd, 2017 20:00

I had this happen tonight for the first time, after owning my XPS 8900 for about 6 months.

I did the un-plugging and pressing the power button and it works, but...

After powering down the computer, it's done it twice again.

It sounds to me like something is amiss with the power supply...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 24th, 2017 09:00

I had this happen tonight for the first time, after owning my XPS 8900 for about 6 months.

I did the un-plugging and pressing the power button and it works, but...

After powering down the computer, it's done it twice again.

It sounds to me like something is amiss with the power supply...

If you're using a power strip, surge protector or UPS, disconnect those and connect the PC directly to the wall outlet. If the problem persists, contact Dell tech support since your system should still be under warranty.

February 25th, 2017 15:00

I had this EXACT issue with my 8910. Out of the box, plugged it in, blinked orange for a couple seconds, and then just died. Didn't even get into bios, let alone windows.

Called support, and they literally made me repeat the above 6 TIMES. No kidding. Turn on, flashing lights, dead. Unplug, wait a minute, repeat. If you call dell support, they will make you do the same.

Assuming you're facing the same problem, it's a MoBo issue which is serious. If you bought this from dell, they will try and force on site support to "fix" it. Do NOT let them talk you into this. If it is dead out of the box, you qualify for a system exchange. Yes, you will have to wait 2-3 weeks (in my case), but it would be far more preferable to them ripping out the MoBo. It's literally like buying a car and having them rip out the engine and transmission before driving out of the lot.

tl;dr: Get the system exchange, not a repair.

February 28th, 2017 20:00

Thanks for the suggestion!

After spending over an hour last night with DELL online support (They really did do everything they could to help)

I fixed the problem.

I had a 10-year-old Logitech G-15 gaming keyboard hooked up, and in the last week or so has been acting very odd. I had to switch USB positions 3 times because the system would stop recognizing it.

After updating drivers and flashing the Bios, I was getting close, as was the tech, to determining it was the motherboard.

Since swapping the keyboard out, everything has returned to normal.

Sometimes it's the smallest things that can wreak the most havoc on a computer, LOL!

No Events found!