Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2011 18:00

can I add a second hard drive to the Inspiron 620s?

I've seen a thread about adding a second hard drive to the 620, but  I have the "slimtower" and am having a little trouble seeing how to mount my second hard drive.  There is a power connection and I already have a data cable, but the "hard drive bezel" seems to be the only way to mount.

I was told by the Dell online sales rep that this computer could accept a 2nd drive.  Thanks in advance for any help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 23rd, 2011 19:00

naygoo

The Dell Techie is wrong, the Inspiron 620s only supports one internal 3.5" SATA hard drive.

The 620s has one Internally accessible 3.5-inch bay for a SATA hard drive and one externally accessible 5.25-inch bay for a SATA DVD+/-RWdrive.

The Inspiron 620s specifications can be found HERE. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

You could use a USB 2.0 external hard drive.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 23rd, 2011 19:00

From looking at the service manual, the 620s can hold one internal hard drive.

A second hard drive can be attached externally by way of an eSATA bracket like this: www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

And I've had excellent results with this: www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx. This enclosure will also work with USB 2.0 connections, albeit with much slower transfer speeds.

5 Posts

December 30th, 2011 13:00

As usual, dell is either telling a fib to get you to purchase another machine or has no clue when they spec out their own hardware.  If you lift out the tray for the main hard drive in the slim tower config, on the bottom is a bracket for a laptop sized drive, which would let you do a SSD with no problem. There is also enough room to fit some hard drives just sitting on top of the main drive, with the side of the case holding on.

There is also no room to really put a second disc drive if you have the SD reader in front, as there is a bracket in the way plus the wiring for that card reader / usb hub.

They really have seemed to get into not having any options at all on these machines for upgrading, forcing your hand to have to upgrade totally instead of in nice manageable incriments.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 30th, 2011 13:00

Having the ultimate in upgradeability and expandability just isn't inline with buying a slimline PC.

5 Posts

December 31st, 2011 17:00

Odd that the previous lone of slimline PCs had no trouble fitting all of that in. Ive had 2 of them with multiiple hard drive installs running a motherboard supported RAID1 setup, another thing they took out of these machines. The hardware can do it, but Dell removed the option.

No Events found!