Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

September 12th, 2005 19:00

computer struck by lightning...

Could someone please help me? My comp was struck by lightning through my surge protector. Everything seems to be getting power except my tower. I tried changing out the power supply but that didnt seem to work. Any suggestions???

gwinn77

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 12th, 2005 20:00

gwinn77.

As this is storm related damage, contact your homeowner's insurance company.  Most times after a system has been hit by lighting, it's as cheap or cheaper to replace the CPU, then to repair it

How about  posting more information, computer model, version of windows?

What is the reading of the power button LED, green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?
What is the sequence of the diagnostic LEDs at the back of the case?

Bev.

658 Posts

September 12th, 2005 22:00

to answer hte question of what the problem might be....

chances are if it's not getting power and you've replaced the power supply it's hte motherboard.

I would try to remove any removable parts (ram, expansion cards, drives) and verify it still don't work. Assuming not, it's likelyt he board, but could be more stuff int he computer.

101 Posts

September 12th, 2005 22:00

I would HAVE to agree with Bev. That call is RIGHT on the money, Bev!

:manvery-happy:

Message Edited by Lonewolf_m on 09-12-2005 06:07 PM

3 Posts

August 7th, 2007 03:00

I have a similar situation. My computer (Dell Dimension 3000) was struck by lighting. It won't boot up. I have not changed anything yet, alhtough I did open the case. I tried to unplug the CD-Rom and connected it to a working computer (Dell E510). I thought I hear a sparking sound and unplugged the power cord immediately. Fortunately the E510 is still working. But lately I found that a couple of time when I tried to plug the power cord into E510, there was a bit of sparking lighting, although the E510 is still on (the one sending the email right one). I thought that maybe it was also static when I turned on the computer with the CD-Rom from Dimension 3000. My general question is how should I test computer parts? Could I connect the part of question into a good computer? Am I running the risk of ruinning the good computer with an (if indeed) damaged part? If I replace the power supply, should I order exactly the same one, or could I just try to use the one from E510? There seems to quite different in terms the # of connections. Also, just for your information, when I plug in Dimension 3000. No light in the front panel light up, nor do I feel any wind come out of the fan. However, there is a  green light on one of the interior board (not sure what it is). I can figure out HD,CD-Rom,Memory chip inside the computer. I need to do research for the rest of the parts. 

And yes, I do plan to submit a claim to home insurance, as the lighting wiped out garage door openers, DVD, Satellite receivers, phones, phone line, and cable lines. I guess this also shows that the lighting is quite sever, and perhaps everyhting inside the computer is gone. I will be sending the HD to werecoverdata.com, and one answer I would certainly get from them is if the HD is still working or not.

Any suggestions are welcome.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 7th, 2007 04:00

Li_Qingqin

See if the procedures in this post can help you troubleshoot the system.

The D-3000 has an open back panel, most standard generic stock ATX PSU's, with or without the on/off switch and either a 20-pin or 20 + 4-pin main motherboard connector, can be installed.

You can buy the unit from a local computer store or from any online vendor.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!