Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2012 10:00

dell 530 power button won't work

I turned off the computer as usual last night and this morning the thing won't turn on. You push the power button and nothing happens. no noise, no lights nothing. There is a green led on the back that stays on and an orange one on the mother board that stays lit but that is the only sign of life. After it wouldn't work I took the cover off and cleaned out the dust. it did not help.  Any help would be wonderful and before anyone says anything I cannot afford a new one or afford to have someone fix it.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 20th, 2012 13:00

jlynne8285

I will assume that you have the Inspiron 530 Mini Tower and not the Inspiron 530s Slimline version.

Does the power supply fan run?

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

First check that all the cables are properly connected, including the cables to the front panel.

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU is assumed to be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died.

The Inspiron 530 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Codes are HERE. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

1 Message

January 9th, 2013 11:00

Hi, JLYNNE8285,

I am experiencing exactly the same thing with my Inspiron 530 desktop computer. I took it to the PC doctor today. He opened it up, tested the power supply and everything was working beautifully. Made me look like a complete idiot. He gave me a new power cord and told me to try running it without the UPS battery, plugging it directly into the wall. I did all that, and it will still start only after thinking about it for a couple of minutes. The green LED at the back is lit, and it takes a while for the orange light around the power button to light up.

Have you been able to fix your problem, or did find out what was wrong with it?

Thanks.

6 Posts

May 11th, 2013 00:00

Did you ever find the solution?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 11th, 2013 04:00

Janiie,

The symptoms described above point to a power supply failure. I can't help you unless you tell me what problems you are having.

6 Posts

May 11th, 2013 09:00

Yeah I already checked everything is connected

6 Posts

I shut of my computer properly and waited until it was completely off to disconnected everything then a few hours later I tried to turn it on and nothing,I already tried the power cord it works perfectly fine, the back light is green but when I press the power button nothing no fans running no light from the front.

119 Posts

Hi,

The power bouton itself can be the cause

Please verify if the pour bouton is ok and also its cable that connect it to the mainboard

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 11th, 2013 10:00

350-watt replacement power supply (superior quality to OEM unit) for $46 with 15% off w/ promo code EMCXRWX96, ends 5/12.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 11th, 2013 10:00

Janie,

I'm not sure what you mean by "disconnected everything". Why did you disconnect everything?

6 Posts

May 11th, 2013 11:00

Cause I was gonna move it and everything like the keyboard mouse monitor

119 Posts

May 11th, 2013 11:00

Hi janiie,

please take a look on the whole motherboard and check if there is a burned components especially chemical capacitor or not.

-The BIOS also may cause this problem,if you know a little bit on taking measument please tell me if 3.3V reach the BIOS or not

6 Posts

May 12th, 2013 22:00

The mother board is fine

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 13th, 2013 05:00

I think you need a new power supply.

Sorry, I was confused by your remark that you disconnected everything. I thought you were referring to internal components.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 13th, 2013 07:00

janiie

Suspect the power supply has failed and as you need a 'known' working PSU to test the computer/motherboard, it should be replaced.

Generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is required.

The power supply replacement procedures are here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-530_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.   

Ps.  rdunnill has already posted a link to a 350w compatible power supply.

No Events found!