Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2012 12:00

dell studio 540 sleep issue

I have a dell studio 540 desktop.  Intel core 2quad cpu 2.40GHz, 6 gb rm, vista sp2 64 bit.

My issue is that when the computer goes into sleep mode, it won't come out. it stays on a black screen, as though the computer is shut off. moving the mouse and pressing anything on the keyboard does nothing. i have to power it back on, and it comes to a resuming windows screen with a loading bar, but then goes straight back to an all black screen. again, mouse and keyboard do nothing. i then have to hard power off the computer, and reboot it. lately, it comes to a black screen offering to scan for start up errors or to delete the restoration point and start windows. (if i hit the space bar when the resuming windows screen is up, it brings me to a black screen with two options: resume windows or delete restoration point and start windows. and it starts back up as normal)

I've read a lot of issues with sleep mode pertain to graphics cards. but, i've tried downloading new drivers and nothing. I'm just curious as to whether the only option to solve this is to just turn off the sleep mode. It's just really annoying that after an hour, the computer has to be turned on, off, and on again to be used.

Thanks,

Chris

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 10th, 2012 16:00

Hi Chris,

There are potentially a variety of problems that cause this. One thing to try is to remove all peripherals except the mouse, keyboard and monitor. Then put the system into skeep mode and see if you can wake it up.

Potential hardware issues would be with your power supply, hard drive or RAM. It would be worth running the Dell diagnostics to rule out problems with the hard drive or RAM.

If the hardware is ok, then usually a clean installation of the operating system will solve the problem.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 11th, 2012 01:00

Does it have the latest BIOS? And may we ask which video card is installed?

I had similar problems with ATI 5450-based cards being installed in a particular Foxconn 939 mainboard ... they would not resume from S3 sleep mode, just S1. I presume it is a BIOS issue ... the same boards function perfectly with 4XXX cards.

6 Posts

February 11th, 2012 13:00

I've done a diagnostic scan and nothing comes up. what do you mean by all the peripherals? removing routers, printers, etc? basically anything connected to the desktop that isn't the mouse or keyboard? as well, both run off of a bluetooth adapter that came with the dell computer.

i have the latest BIOS. video card is intel gma x4500hd according to the computer manual

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 11th, 2012 18:00

If you haven't updated your drivers to the latest version, you can try that here: www.intel.com/.../inf

6 Posts

February 14th, 2012 12:00

i've updated all the drivers, and through the intel site. i don't know what else to even try anymore. it's frustrating, because the mouse and keyboard are lit up, but they're just not waking the computer up lol

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 14th, 2012 15:00

I didn't have such problems with my 540s, but I never used the onboard video; instead, I had installed a Sapphire 4650 low profile video card.

You might try something inexpensive like the HIS 6450 before you give up on this problem.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 14th, 2012 20:00

You are using onboard video, not a video card. I'm not sure if it's a video issue or not, but I have seen this problem before and it was due to a BIOS incompatibility with 5450-based video cards.

6 Posts

* i hard powered it before the computer could shut down on its own, and then rebooted and the resume windows came up.

i just don't want to have to continually repeat this process since it's probably not great for the system.

6 Posts

do you think it definitely sounds like a video card problem?

just got home from work. when i moved the mouse, the fan started going, ran for about a minute, and then the computer powered down. hit the power button, fan kicked on, but did the same.. ran for about a minute, and the computer powered down again. hit the power button, same process. the only thing that stopped it from doing so is that i hard powered the computer off while the fan was going befor it just powered down on its own again. then the resume windows came up.

are there any kinds of diagnostic tests i can use to pinpoint that a faulty video card is in fact the computer?

No Events found!