Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

September 10th, 2008 00:00

e510 - XFX GeFORCE 8800GT - PSU

Hey everyone,

I recently bought an XFX GeFORCE 8800GT gfx card for my e510, and realized I need a power upgrade. I was looking at a CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply from newegg.com. Could anyone tell me if this is compatible with my PC, if this is a good PSU, and if not; what PSU should I look into? Thanks.

12.1K Posts

September 10th, 2008 08:00

This is a good one that some have purchased 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

Also, a number of members have just used the stock 305 watt power supply and no issues with a 8800 GT card as long as the system was not upgraded with additional hard drives, optical drives, pci slots filled up, etc.

But to be on the safer side most upgrade the p/s

Without a power supply upgrade, you should read the following.  With a power supply upgrade, the new power supply will have a dedicated 6 pin power cable that you hook up to the card....

Your system may not have come with enough 4 pin power input connectors from the power supply to connect to the required molex Y power cable that is necessary to power the video card.

Below link takes you to a site that sells a Molex power cable that will work for your system. Its a 6 pin to 4 pin connector that eliminates the need for two 4 pin connections, only need one. The 6 pin end goes into the video card, and the other end ( 4 pin side ) goes into a free available 4 pin power input that comes from the power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201004

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 10th, 2008 09:00

I have an E510.  The referenced Corsair power supply will work.  It has all the needed connections. 

The E510 uses a standard ATX power supply.

4 Posts

September 17th, 2008 21:00

So I finally installed all the previously said hardware and when i hit the power button it powers on, but doesn't boot up. It sits there with a yellow, steady, light and and black monitor. I think I installed it correctly except for my recent power supply had a 4 pin plug, that was plugged into the motherboard, that my new PSU doesn't have. Do I need that plug? What else could be the problem?

1.4K Posts

September 17th, 2008 23:00

@Oway1021 wrote:
So I finally installed all the previously said hardware and when i hit the power button it powers on, but doesn't boot up. It sits there with a yellow, steady, light and and black monitor. I think I installed it correctly except for my recent power supply had a 4 pin plug, that was plugged into the motherboard, that my new PSU doesn't have. Do I need that plug? What else could be the problem?

Your new power supply probably has a 4+4 connector that needs to be separated in order to give you the 4 pin connector that you do need.

No Events found!