Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

May 30th, 2008 01:00

how re-enable ethernet in BIOS? to solve network cable unplugged error

I have a Dimension xps800 with xp, and I keep getting message "network cable unplugged".  I know it is not -- borrowed a laptop and plugged it in -- worked fine. 

I changed the position of the card on the motherboard, then I replaced the ethernet card, -- same message. 

The card shows up fine in Device Manager.  In network connections, it shows up, but reads as unplugged. 

In Properties for local area connection, it seems fine, and the box of what the connection uses has checks on:  client service for netware, client for microsoft networks, internet protocal -tcp/ip, NW Link net BIOS, NW link IPX/SPX/NetBIOS compatible transport.

I read that maybe the problem is in BIOS -- and I should try to enable or un-enable and then re-enable the ethernet in BIOS.  I got in by stopping the startup of xp, but could not find where the ethernet is in BIOS. 

Can someone describe exactly how to find it?  Or if you have another suggestion to solve this network connection problem, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

812 Posts

May 30th, 2008 13:00

Being that you are using a ethernet card I am assuming your motherboard does not have an onboard ethernet connection or ethernet controller.  That being the case, you will not have any option in the BIOS to enable or disable the onboard ethernet controller if it does not exist.

812 Posts

May 30th, 2008 20:00

Try posting this issue here:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board?board.id=netwkint

You may have your network setup up wrong for your computer.  If you are getting your internet connection through a router, hub, or switch, you may have to set up your network differently.

Run through the network setup wizard.  START->PROGRAMS->ACCESSORIES->COMMUNICATIONS->NETWORK SETUP WIZARD

I opened the network wizard , and I don't think it applies to me. 

There are 3 of us who share a router, but the computers are all independent -- not networked in the sense of being connected to each other, or sharing a printer, etc.   I think it just says "network"cable unplugged because it comes from the router.  

In properties, are the items that are checked wrong?  is that why you thought there was a real network?

I don't know why it was suggested -- but thanks for explaining why I couldn't find it.

Do you have any suggestions for what I could try to resolve this "network cable unplugged" message?  I have tried all the ideas i could find -- nothing works.  I know the cable is okay with a laptop, the card is new, and the message is the same regardless of the card location. 

The card shows up fine in Device Manager.  In network connections, it shows up, but reads as unplugged. 

In Properties for local area connection, it seems fine, and the box of what the connection uses has checks on:  client service for netware, client for microsoft networks, internet protocal -tcp/ip, NW Link net BIOS, NW link IPX/SPX/NetBIOS compatible transport.

I don't know what else to try -- any ideas?

Thanks for your help with the BIOS

812 Posts

May 30th, 2008 23:00

Three computers sharing a router is indeed a network.

You will want to use the option: "This computer connects to the internet directly or through a network hub.  Other computers on my network also connect to the internet directly or through a hub."

Also check your router installation instructions to see if you need to log into the router in order for it to accept your connection.  Some brands require you to login in once first by going to routerlogin.net and entering the router user name and password to gain access to it.

Check that your ethernet card's ethernet plug doesn't have any bent or broken pins in it.

Try to network forum.

No Events found!