Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2012 17:00

inspiron 620 power switch issue.

I bought new DELL Inspiron 620 desk top last year through Micro Center. with in an year hard disk was identified gone and it was replaced. after the fix the the power switch is not working. My warranty was over and they are not ready to help. Shall I assume the DELL systems standard is gone. with in an year if this happens for the hardware, how could we rely on this company.

3.3K Posts

December 21st, 2012 17:00

Hi lrmrao,

Thank you for contacting us and bringing your concerns to our attention. I regret you are having difficulty with our technical support team.

Please help me understand if the computer is powering on? Elaborate what exactly happens when you try to power on the computer?

If the computer is not powering on, try below troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue

1. Try a different wall outlet, and then try to power on the system.
  2. Reseat the power cord which is connected to “Power Supply” of the system tower, and then try to power the Desktop system.
  3. SWAP the power cord of the Monitor with the system power cord, then try to power on the Desktop system.

Awaiting your response!

5 Posts

December 21st, 2012 18:00

thanks rajesh for the response. I tried all the three options, same situation. I guess it is switch problem.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 21st, 2012 22:00

This system is new enough that you could purchase a warranty extension thru Dell.

1 Message

January 2nd, 2013 17:00

I also have an Inspiron 620 MT, now 18 months old.  This machine has a confirmed power switch problem.  Green LED on power supply and internal red LED both light up, but the machine will not respond to presses of the power switch.

This is now the second time this issue has occured.  The first was after 3 months, Dell replaced the power switch at that time and the problem went away but now it is back.  Calls to Dell service have told me my machine is now out of warranty and not covered and I am on my own.  I do not agree with this position as the problem first occurred under warranty and has never been fully addressed.  Yes the power cords are seated (seriously?).

This is obviously a known defect for this machine, with many posts on the subject.  This is the 5th Dell I have purchased over the past 10 years.  It will be my last if Dell will not stand behind its product.

Any suggestions on how we can lrmrao and I get this issue properly resolved?

Best Regards,

George

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 20:00

if the warranty is out then renew the warranty and get it fixed.  I own several 620s with no power problem.

UNPLUG AC POWER AND HOLD POWER BUTTON UNTIL ALL LIGHTS GO OUT.

Then plug in and gently press power to turn on.  Punching the button breaks it.

If the power button is the issue then the paperclip trick would also work.

24 Pin ATX 4 Pin ATX

To perform the PSU Paper Clip test, we’ll need to examine the power supply connectors closely and find the one that has a lone green wire. Ninety nine percent of the time, this green wire is located on pin 14 on the bigger connector. In addition to the green wire, locate the other black wires that are present in the connector.

Once the wires are located, you will need a paper clip.

Green & Black Wires + Paper Clip

It is now time for the fun part. First you need to reshape the paper clip into a shape that is similar to the letter C.

Once this is done, make sure that the power cord is NOT connected to the power supply then connect one end of the paper clip to the green wire and the other end to one of the black wires present on the connector.

& Black Wires + Paper Clip

Once the paper clip has been attached to the green and black wires, this will enable the power supply to turn on while it is disconnected from the motherboard something not possible, otherwise. After this is done, turn off the power switch, if one is present, and connect the power cord to the PSU.

Cord Connected

If the PSU does not have a switch, then as soon as you connect the power cord, power should flow through the PSU and you can then observe the fan on that power supply to see if it turns.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2014 13:00

I am having the same problem with my less-than 2 year old Inspiron 620. The power switch is just bilking, the machine would not turn on. If this is a common problem with this product, Dell should recall it, is it? A few friends of mine who are IT persons all told me they do not like Dell. Maybe this is the reason? I am not sure if I want to buy a new one or spend around $200 to fix it...

February 12th, 2014 07:00

I purchased a Dell 620 at Sam's and had the power button problems also.  I unfortunately contacted customer support 2 days to late for them to help me with the problem.  We purchased a second switch over the internet and it worked for a couple of days.  I got disgusted and pulled the drive out and initialized it to be used on another computer.  It seems a waste to take a $700 computer to the dump.  Does anyone know of how to fix the power button and reload and operating system on the drive.  I will never purchase another dell product.

2 Posts

February 12th, 2014 08:00

I took mine (Insprion 620, less than 2 year old) to Best Buy on Sunday.  The nice technician was able to figure out that it is a failure of Power Supply.  Because it was within 15 minutes so it considered a consulation, for free.  My tower is a thin one so the Power Supply is small, has to be ordered.  I ordered it from Dell for $55, they waived shipping fee.  I am then going to have Best Buy install it for $50.  Hopefully this is it.

Could your problem is also Power Supply?  I did see one post saying he got the new Power Supply but it just worked for a short time.  I hope this won't be my case.  Definitely no Dell computer anymore.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2015 18:00

They should grandfather the case because it is an existing issue. A Bench Work Order needs to be submitted. That means that a leading tech needs to take a look at it and inspect every detail of that thing. Something isn't right. Chat Support should be more helpful than phone support but let me know how you do.

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2015 18:00

Same experience. Dell replaced two mother boards and power supply, Now out of warranty and same problem. I think I have power switch problems also. When it does not start after pushing the start button slapping the front of the computer makes it start. It may be sticking in sleep mode when started, or? I don't think I will buy another Dell.  

No Events found!