Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2013 07:00

less than day old 8500 freezes on Dell logo

I was getting only the logo on a black screen. after a couple of restarts, it now has the Dell logo on a strange red background.  I cant run diagnostic since it wont do anything. i have tried only connecting it to monitor, mouse, and keyboard, but same thing.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 10th, 2013 08:00

A microsoft update is responsible for this problem.

MS Update/QFE causing hang on Dell Logo screen

Model(s) Affected: Multiple Consumer Systems

Issue:
After applying latest MS update, system is hanging on Dell Logo boot screen

Resolution:
Disable secure boot, boot into OS, then reboot and re-enable secure boot.

Resolution Steps
:

1. Power on unit and press F2 to go into the BIOS.
2. Navigate to the Security area.
3. Turn off Secure Boot.
4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5. Boot the system into the OS
6. Once in the OS wait for 5 minutes for Updates to complete
7. Reboot the System and press F2 to go into BIOS
8. Turn on Secure Boot.
9. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
10. Boot into the system.
11. The system should boot into the OS without issue.

151 Posts

January 10th, 2013 10:00

Now i get the message:"  reboot & select proper boot drive or insert boot media" every time i re-start it

151 Posts

January 10th, 2013 10:00

Tried a few things:

Managed to get to repair screen:

Refresh:  drive where windows is installed is locked

Can' t restart: a required drive partition is missing

along the way:  error:  0X400110020000100C

I have tried turning off secure boot. Tried turning it back on. Nothing is solving.

Didnt even get a chance to create recovery disk yet.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 10th, 2013 11:00

WDaren

As this is brand new system, have you tried contacting Dell about this issue?

Bev.

Trying to keep a sense of humor here - My long time personal rule has always been that I will not buy or install the newest O/S or equipment until it's been out for at least 6 months, so for some unknown reason I bought a brand new machine with Windows 8 after it was only available for a couple of months!!

I just opened & tried to power up my new XPS 8500 Special Edition on Monday & have been having the same issues, on the 1st screen in the BIOS utility check under SATA Information (you'll have to scroll down with arrow key towards the bottom to see it) and make sure your hard drive & msata (if you have one) show info about the drive. Originally mine said NOT PRESENT for everything so I opened the case & reattached the cables to the hard drive, and tightened the screws on the msata - to get to it I had to take the graphics card out of the card slot. No matter how I set the options for boot mode & boot security I'm now getting the same messages. I'm going to see if there's a Dell link to download a Windows 8 start up or recovery utility, and if not or if it doesn't work I think I'm going to return my machine and ask for a replacement that has been tested before it is shipped. I am disappointed & a little bit disgusted that Dell is shipping machines which cost about $1000 without actually doing some kind of final test where each machine is plugged in and booted up before it is packaged for shipment!! If I have any luck with a download to a flash drive & booting my new pc I'll be sure to let you know. Good luck!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 10th, 2013 13:00

If you boot to error  0X400110020000100C

Then

To restart the computer in “Safe Mode”, follow these steps:

1. Restart the computer and press and hold F8 key.

Note: You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

2. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the “Safe Mode” and then press ENTER.

You may want to get in the Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows DVD and then try running Startup Repair.

No Events found!