Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2004 01:00

microphone doesn't record

My microphone won't record.  I've checked volume, DirectX, and various related controls and everything checks out, but the mike produces no audio voice capture.  When I play the file I've recorded, there is no sound.  Any suggestions. (The speaker icon has been missing from my startup tray for some time... don't know if that is related or not). All other audio works fine.

2.2K Posts

February 13th, 2004 17:00

Click Start | Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices. Click the Audio tab, and under the Sound Recording field, click the Volume button. Ensure that the input selected is Microphone, and that this volume control is set to a reasonable level. If you are using a microphone with an on/off switch, ensure that the microphone is On, as well.

February 13th, 2004 20:00

Cody,

"Click Start | Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices. Click the Audio tab, and under the Sound Recording field, click the Volume button. Ensure that the input selected is Microphone, and that this volume control is set to a reasonable level. If you are using a microphone with an on/off switch, ensure that the microphone is On, as well."

My OS is Win98.  I can only select Sounds in the Control Panel and it has no Audio tab or Sound Recoding field. There are only selections for sound schemes for system and program events.

Nighthawk50

2.2K Posts

February 13th, 2004 21:00

As you're using Windows 98, check the recording levels by double-clicking on the speaker icon next to the clock in (usually) the lower right-hand corner of the screen. Click Options | Properties, and under "Show the following volume controls", make sure all controls are checked. Click OK, and make sure these controls are Selected, but not Muted.

Then, click on Options, Properties, Click on Adjust Volume for Recording, make sure all the boxes in the lower half are checked, hit OK, and make sure the Recording Volume is turned all the way up, and that the microphone input is Selected. Make sure that the controls are Selected, but not Muted.

Finally, of course, make sure the microphone is plugged in to the MIC jack on the back of the computer.

February 13th, 2004 22:00

Thanks Cody... that did it!

Have a great day.

No Events found!