Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2012 21:00

monitor, mouse and keyboard stopped working

powered up the tower but the keyboard, mouse and monitor will not work, any ideas

4.4K Posts

March 15th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.

Does the light on the power button stay on? If it stays on whats the color?

You can try to drain flea power and see if that helps. Disconnect the main power chord,keyboard,mouse and any other external device connected to the tower, hold down the power button for 30 seconds ( without anything connected to the tower). After doing that reconnect the power chord,keyboard,mouse  and start the system.

Please post your system model,along with the Windows operating system.

Thank You

Roshan.

4 Posts

March 24th, 2013 17:00

I have a Inspiron 530s, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. The computer was working fine until now. I have tried the procedure outlined above. However, the keyboard, monitor and mouse still does not work. I have placed the hard drive in a USB enclosure and scanned it for viruses, it came up clean. I was able to copy files to a USB Drive. I tested the keyboard, monitor and mouse on another computer and they work fine. Any other suggestions?

4.4K Posts

March 26th, 2013 02:00

Hi  zz30fg,

Welcome to the Community,

The led on the power button can be used as diagnostic indicator.

Could you confirm the color of the LED on the power button when you turn on the system? Does it stay steady blue or blinking blue or steady amber or blinking amber?

Also could you confirm if you hear any beep sounds when you turn on the system?

Thank You

4 Posts

March 27th, 2013 18:00

Roshan L,

The LED on the Power Button Remains a steady blue and the system only beeps once when it starts.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 27th, 2013 19:00

If the monitor isn't working, how do you know keyboard and mouse don't work?

Sounds like a video output issue if monitor works on another PC. (Was that tested using the same video cable from the monitor to the other PC?)

Is monitor connected to onboard VGA port or to an add-in video card? If it's an add-in video card, try reseating that card in its slot on the motherboard. If that doesn't help, remove that card and try connecting the monitor to the onboard VGA port.

NOTE: Always power off, unplug and press/hold power buttonfor ~15 sec before doing any work inside the case.

4 Posts

March 27th, 2013 20:00

The number lock light does not come on and the light for the optical mouse does not come on. I have been able intermittently boot up the computer. As a matter fact I am using it right now. However, if I try to restart it does not boot up. When I try to turn the computer on about an hour later, it boots up fine.

4.4K Posts

March 28th, 2013 02:00

Hi zz30fg,

Beep codes can be used as diagnostic indicator.System can emit a series of beeps during start-up if the display cannot show errors or problems.Single beep code indicates the computer encountered a possible system board failure(BIOS corruption).

Do your hear that beep sound every time you start the system (even when the system starts normally) or do your hear that beep sound only when there is no display (or no lights on the keyboard or mouse)?

Is your system covered under warranty?

4 Posts

March 30th, 2013 18:00

Do your hear that beep sound every time to start the system (even when the system starts normally) or do your hear that beep sound only when there is no display (or no lights on the keyboard or mouse)? Yes, I hear the single beep every time the system starts. Additionally, when the system does boot up to Windows, it bypasses the normal Dell Startup Screen that allows you to enter the BIOS (F2) or change the boot order (F12). I tried to re-install the BIOS, but since I have the most current BIOS already installed, the BIOS re-installation fails.

Is your system covered under warranty? The system is not covered under a warranty.

4.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 04:00

Hi zz30fg,

Since the issue is intermittent and the diagnostics available does not pin point to any particular hardware failure I would suggest you to get the system checked by a local technician.

No Events found!