Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2010 08:00

motherboard replacement for a OptiPlex GX270

hi all, thanks in advance for your help.

i am thinking i need to replace the motherboard in an old OptiPlex GX270 we have been using. 

the problem, when we try to boot it gets as far as the windows cyborg (xp pro) screen and stops.  we have noticed that for some time now that occasionally while in use the screen would go black and come back after a few seconds.  then recently is started locking up while in use, not dependent on any particular function/use at that time.  i first thought a bad hard drive.  so i installed a new hard drive and installed xp.  still only gets as far as the cyborg screen and stops.

also, where might i find instructions on how to remove, replace, the mother board in a OptiPlex GX270 case.

any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Chris

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 17th, 2010 09:00

I do not see any documentation on how to remove/install the motherboard. Have you tried reseating the memory or trying the memory one at a time to see if it gets past that screen?

381 Posts

February 17th, 2010 10:00

Is this a small form factor or a small mid tower?  I am familiar with the SMT.

David

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 17th, 2010 16:00

Documentation <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/index.htm

Documentation on replacing the board is here. 

Its on a tray you use the Tab to slide it forward then lift it out.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/SM/EN/replbrd.htm

replbr17.jpg

replbr20.jpg

Removing the System Board

CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the steps in "Safety Instructions."
  1. Shut down the computer through the Start menu. 
  2. Ensure that your computer and attached devices are turned off. If your computer and attached devices did not automatically turn off when you shut down your computer, turn them off now. 

NOTICE: To disconnect a network cable, first unplug the cable from your computer and then unplug it from the network wall jack.
  1. Disconnect any telephone or telecommunication lines from the computer. 
  2. Disconnect your computer and all attached devices from their electrical outlets, and then press the power button to ground the system board. 
  3. Remove the computer stand, if it is attached. 

CAUTION: To guard against electrical shock, always unplug your computer from the electrical outlet before opening the cover.
  1. Open the computer cover. 

NOTICE: Before touching anything inside your computer, ground yourself by touching an unpainted metal surface, such as the metal at the back of the computer. While you work, periodically touch an unpainted metal surface to dissipate any static electricity that could harm internal components.
  1. Remove any components that restrict access to the system board. 
  2. Disconnect all cables from the system board. 
  3. Before you remove the existing system board assembly, visually compare the replacement system board to the existing system board to make sure that you have the correct part. 

NOTE: Your replacement board may or may not be attached to a metal tray. If your original system board was attached to a tray, you will transfer the replacement board to the metal tray before you install the new board. Seestep 1
 in the next procedure.
  1. Remove the system board: 

1. If your system board is attached to a metal tray, the board and the tray are connected and are removed as one piece. Pull up on the tab and slide the system board assembly toward the front of the computer, and then lift the board up and away. 
    1. If your system board is secured to the computer with a screw, remove the screw and slide the system board toward the front of the computer, detaching it from the hooks on the floor of the chassis, and then lift the board up and away.

7 Posts

February 17th, 2010 16:00

Are the capsaitors(round things with an "X" on the the top) Dome shaped or Flat on the the Board. If they are Dome you should get rid of the board you will always have issues with the computer. I have a Skid of computer that are this way. 

17 Posts

February 18th, 2010 04:00

hi all, thanks for getting back to me.

i have tried re-seating everything.  still won't get past the cyborg screen.  you can hear the hard drive spin up, start to load, then the hard drive just stops being accessed/spinning.  thats why i at first thought it was a hard drive issue. this behavior continues even after trying a couple different hard drives.  that along with the fact that, back when i could get it to run a little, no hard drive diagnostics tool would even find a hard drive in the machine.

there are a couple of "domed" capacitors.

thanks for the links to the instructions: now to find a replacement board.  have noticed complete machines, and one "parts" machine on ebay.

Chris

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 18th, 2010 04:00

Microcenter and Redemtek sell complete USED GX270 systems.

Micro Center - JS Refurbished Dell Optiplex GX270/GX280

17 Posts

February 19th, 2010 14:00

i bought a board on ebay.  guess we will see how things go.  Chris

No Events found!