Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2011 00:00

my computer won't power up

when I plug it in a green light comes on in the back of the computer, but when I push the power button in front it turns off , if I hold the power button in for 5 seconds it will turn on again only, nothing else with the computer will actaviate, any thoughts

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 14th, 2011 04:00

What model PC?  The front panel power button and light indicator can be different for different models.

5 Posts

September 14th, 2011 09:00

Dell desktop Studio 540.

No lights on the front come on, a green light on the back of the computer by the power supply plugin comes on, also I just noticed the cooling fan starts to move then dosn't just a jerk then nothing.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 14th, 2011 13:00

Joebrc

Assuming that you have the studio 540 Mini Tower and not the 540 Slimline version.

The power button LED is not lite.

The Studio 540 Troubleshooter is HERE

Are there any 'Beep's?

Does the power supply fan run?

Bev.

5 Posts

September 14th, 2011 15:00

the studio 540 Mini Tower

The front power lights don't lite at all.

The power button dose have some effect though as I discribed in my first post

(("when I plug it in a green light comes on in the back of the computer, but when I push the power button in front it turns off , if I hold the power button in for 5 seconds it will turn on again only, nothing else with the computer will actaviate, any thoughts")(except a jerk of the fan at the power supply))

The light that turns on is  #5 in page17-18 of Guide. It's on back of the computer

Power supply light — Indicates power availability for power supply.

Are there any 'Beep's? NO

Does the power supply fan run? No

(when I push in the power button on the front it will start to with a jerk then nothing, not even 1/32 to 1/16 of a spin then the power supply lite turns off, I did let it get real dusty on the inside and vacumed it out, and saw the fan spins freely when the vacume creates a draft.)

I'm thinking something is wrong with the power supply box or maybe some wiring or switches

I have the volt slector on 115 amp I can switch to 230 amp but should I?

#6 in page17-18 of Guide Voltage selector switch — Select the region specific voltage range.

I have also pulled all 4 memory cards and replaced where they came from and disconected and reconected the hard drives in an effort to get a reset in the system

Prior my computer was saying one of my raid things was not working

Could this be involved with this problem?

page 48 of Guide

RAID support

RAID 0 (striping) RAID 1 (mirroring)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 14th, 2011 15:00

Joebrc

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply and case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no difference in the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has issues.

Bev.

5 Posts

September 14th, 2011 16:00

If I do this I should hope the power supply is bad Right?

If the power supply is good then the mother board is probably bad Right?

What would you suggest if the mother board is bad?

Thanks for your advice Bev, Could you please answer my above questions?

I will try what you suggested in the next day or so and reply again and let you know how it worked out.

Funny thing my wife made me promise I wouldn't go on to any online chats.

If she only new!

Ha Ha

Thanks again, Joe

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 14th, 2011 17:00

Joebrc

If I do this I should hope the power supply is bad Right?

Better the power supply, than the motherboard, power supply costs less and is easier to replace.

If the power supply is good then the mother board is probably bad Right?

Usually that is correct.

What would you suggest if the mother board is bad?

Either replace the motherboard with a Dell OEM Studio 540 refurbished unit, or buy a new desktop. Replacing the motherboard would cost less, it's your choice.

Bev.

5 Posts

January 26th, 2012 07:00

Hi I'm having the same issue on my studio 540. Green light is on the back and no light or beeps on the front. I tried all the recommendations yesterday and was able to get the computer to turn on by unplugging everything and holding the power button for 3 min. And I plugged it into the wall instead of the power strip. Now today computer was running fine so I shut it down to plug it back into my power strip and it won't turn back on. I did the same as yesterday with no results so I unplugged the 24 pin power connector inside and jumpered it with a paper clip and nothing happened no fan, hard drive noise, lights or anything. So does this mean I need a new power supply?

5 Posts

January 26th, 2012 07:00

Oh my gosh I just realized that when I jumpered the wires I did not have the power cord plugged in. Now that I did that the fan on back of the power supply comes on and makes noise like its running. Still on light on the front though.

5 Posts

January 26th, 2012 13:00

I solved my problem by replacing the power supply. This was my first choose because a power supply cost less then a ser.vice check. and it fixed it.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 26th, 2012 15:00

Oh my gosh I just realized that when I jumpered the wires I did not have the power cord plugged in. Now that I did that the fan on back of the power supply comes on and makes noise like its running. Still on light on the front though.

jkrrassa

Do you have an Studio 540 Mini Tower same as the OP?

What happened after you connected the power cord?

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 26th, 2012 15:00

I solved my problem by replacing the power supply. This was my first choose because a power supply cost less then a ser.vice check. and it fixed it.

Joebrc

Thank you for posting the solution to the issue with your issue.

Bev.

5 Posts

January 27th, 2012 10:00

The wierdest thing is that after about an hour of the tower sitting unplugged, I tried to turn it on and it worked.  No need to replace anything.  Also I don't think I have the mini tower, not sure what that is but thanks for your help anyway.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 27th, 2012 10:00

jkrrassa

You are welcome and I'm happy to hear the issue resolved.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 9th, 2012 08:00

Im having the same issue again.  I tried the jumper again and the fan came on now the computer still wont turn on.  I guess its the motherboard then? I have no light on the logo power button and no beeps

jkrrassa

Please post the computer model and the version of windows that's installed.

Bev.
No Events found!