Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2009 21:00

my volume will not work...help?

So, I downloaded a few music mixing and editing softwares, and soon after my volume stopped working. Yes, my speakers are plugged in and functioning fine. For a while, iTUNES, was telling me there was a problem with something to do with my playback? Nothing is muted in any of my volume controls, apparently all my audio drivers work and are updated. I'm pretty sure one of the music programs changed my settings and I have absolutely no idea how to fix it. If someone has any answers, I would greatly appreciate it. I need to do important things with this computer. Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 29th, 2009 04:00

What model PC?  What Operating System? What type of sound do you have (Integrated or separate sound card)?

In general, since it stopped working after downloading, it's obvious that most likely one of those programs is what is causing the problem.  First suggestion would be to uninstall ALL of the downloaded software, restart the PC (don't skip the restart) and then see if you have the volume control and sound working correctly.  (You could use the System Restore function and restore the PC back to a data PRIOR to first installing the programs and that MAY correct the problem).  After you have the volume control and sound working correctly, install one program at a time and check to see if the volume control and sound is still working OK and ONLY then install the next program and do the same thing.

I have iTunes installed on my PC (I have an iPod) but we see many posts on this forum of iTunesand/or Quicktime causing various problems on PC's.  I wanted an iPod but was very reluctant to do it (and put it off for a long time) because of all the iTunes problems posted on this forum.  Fortunately, so far, I'm not having problems.

March 29th, 2009 17:00

It's a Inspiron 530s, Windows XP Home Edition. I'm not sure about the sound, but I'm pretty sure there's no separate sound card. I tried the System Restore, and my computer will not perform it. I select the date, and hit next, but nothing happens. I closed all my programs, and everything, but it never works. I've tried restarting it, and still nothing. I've tried it many times. I've never, ever had a problem with iTunes, and I've had it on various computers over the past five or so years. Also, I go into my Add/Delete Programs from the Control Panel, and none of the downloaded music softwares are there, so I cannot delete them. I have no idea what it is wrong with my computer. 

No Events found!