Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2012 00:00

power surge no start up

had a power surge and computer will not power up.  solid yellow light on power button,yellow light on board. need help. 

3 Posts

July 18th, 2012 03:00

also my pc power button light is amber steady on no activity with anything else. power unit fried?inspiron 530s

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

Hi there,

Before we can assist, we need to know what model of Dell PC you have. This will allow us to give you accurate troubleshooting steps. If you can give us this, we'll be more than happy to help!

3 Posts

thanks inspiron 530s

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

July 18th, 2012 04:00

Hi there,

It's possible that the PSU has developed a fault, however it's also possible that another component is causing this issue. I've got some steps that might help identify the faulty component - these steps will involve opening the system so please remove the AC power cord from the back of the system and take anti-static precautions before trying these steps. If you don't feel comfortable trying these steps, I would advise you to call your local Dell Technical Support team.

The service manual for your system is located at this link: support.dell.com/.../index.htm - it can help you with removing components.

1. Please remove all external peripherals from the system. These include the mouse, keyboard, monitor and anything else connected externally. Switch the system on - do you still see the solid amber power button LED?
  2. Open the system and please remove and reconnect all power connections from the PSU to the motherboard and also to the drives. Switch the system on again - do you still the solid amber power button LED?
  3. Open the system and remove the following components:
    1. Power and data cables from all the drives (optical drive, hard drive, floppy drive if installed)
    2. Any cable connected to a card reader
    3. All memory
    4. Any PCI/PCI-Express expansion cards
  4. With step 3 done, please switch the system on - do you still see the same solid amber power button LED?
  5. Please remove the CMOS battery and the I/O panel cables that connect to the motherboard. With this done, reattach your monitor and then attach the AC power cord to the back of the system - if the I/O panel is the cause of the fault, you may hear beep codes or see an error message on the screen. Please let me know if you hear anything or see any error messages on screen.
If you can try the above, it would be a great help. Thanks again and I hope to hear from you soon.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 18th, 2012 13:00

vpysr

A power surge/lighting strike usually can damage, in this order, power supply, modem/NIC, motherboard, memory and maybe the processor.

As a power supply costs less than a motherboard, try installing a 'know' working power supply.

The Inspiron 530s only supports TFX PSU's.

When this recently happened to me, had to replace the motherboard, RAM and DSL router, it was not a cheap repair.

Bev.

No Events found!