Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 12th, 2011 11:00

sigmatel stac 92xx c-major hd audio

Hi.

I have a Dell XPS 420.  I recently upgraded from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows Vista 64-bit, and apparently I made a mistake when attempting to back up my files, so I ended up having to do a clean install of Vista 64-bit.  Since the installation, most everything has been working great, and I have manually reinstalled all of my programs.  However, since reinstalling, my Sigmatel STAC 92XX c-major HD Audio is nowhere to be found.  It's not showing up anywhere in my device manager, and the volume icon in the system tray has a red circle with an X and says "no audio output device is installed".  I was able to install the Intel chipset from the original drivers and utilities disc that came with my computer.  After installing the chipset, I tried to install the sigmatel audio from the disc several times, but kept getting an error message saying "device not present".  I have looked all over the internet for a solution to this problem.  I have tried to install several different drivers, but since the actual device can't be found, none of the drivers will install.  The sigmatel stac 92xx c-major hd audio device is obviously still somewhere inside the CPU, because I didn't do anything with the actual hardware in the computer.  If that's true, why can't I get my computer to recognize it?  Is there any way to solve this problem?  I don't need drivers, I need the actual software or program itself for the sigmatel audio.  Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 12th, 2011 13:00

Check the Bios (F2 Setup) to see if the Integrated Audio (may be labeled Legacy audio) has not been accidentally disabled.  If it is not disabled, reset the CMOS memory and then check the Setup to make sure it's not disabled.  There are can be several ways to reset the CMOS memory but the easiest way is, with the PC powered off, remove the CR2032 battery on the motherboard for about 10 minutes.  Reinstall, power up and check the Setup.  Then boot into Windows, reinstall the Chipset Drivers, restart the PC and then see if you can install the Dell driver.  The Dell driver on the Dell downloads is for both Vista 32 and 64 bit so use that one, if it is different than what you have on the Dell drivers and utilities disc.

2 Posts

February 13th, 2011 12:00

Thank you for your quick and detailed reply.  I followed your suggestions and was finally able to install the driver for the sigmatel audio.  So far everything is working properly.

No Events found!