Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2015 09:00

wake on lan issue for optiplex 7010 with windows 8

Hi

I have a problem in that when this PC is put in to shutdown state I have been unable to wake it up from this shutdown state.  Within a domain and using remote desktop, I am able to remote in always when the machine is on.   From a sleep state remoting appears very patchy.

I have changed the obvious power management setting in the bios and made the usual changes in windows 8 but with no joy.

Has anyone had experience of this WOL issue?  Can anyone make suggestions in case there is some setting in the bios or Windows that might resolve this ?

Any help woudl be appreciated - many thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 22nd, 2015 11:00

Read this thread.

You probably need to update BIOS to A15...

April 23rd, 2015 09:00

Thanks for your reply.

I have updated the bios to A15 but still it is not waking up from shutdown state.

These are the changes (below) that I have made.  Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated. 

Within the bios I have made the following changes:

Wake on lane - enable

USB wake support enable

integrated nic - enabled and enable UEFI network stack

Within Windows 8.1:

Nic card is set to wake with magic packet

Simple TCPIP services are installed

system properties > remote settings > allow remote connection with network level authentication

Power options > advanced > sleep > allow wake timers

Opened up port 9 UDP in windows firewall

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 23rd, 2015 14:00

Does the network link LED stay on when you shut the system down now?

If not, you probably need to change the sleep state setting(s) in BIOS setup.

April 25th, 2015 11:00

Thanks for your reply.  I am not able to access or for that matter isolate the switch to check this.  I am not an expert on networking, I take it that it is possible that at the network layer that there may be some configuration which can cause this?

There is a BIOS setting which prevents sleep, but this doesn't change what can be done where the PC is put in a shutdown state.

Many thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 26th, 2015 19:00

Lets back up a nano-sec...

Are you trying to wake the PC using the onboard Ethernet card or via WiFi? And which Ethernet card do you have, Broadcom 57XX/BACS or Intel 825xx 10/100/1000 Ethernet?

Do you have Win 8 or Win 8.1? At least for the Intel 825xx Ethernet card, the latest driver for Win 8 (64-bit) is v17.2.0.0, and for Win 8.1 (64-bit) is v18.5.0.0. So make sure you have the right driver for your version of Windows.

Not sure I understand your last post about access to "the switch".

On rear of PC, there should be some LEDs in/around the port where you connect the Ethernet cable. At least one of them should stay on when the PC is shut down. If not, the Ethernet card is powering off so can't wake the PC.

1. Is the NIC set to enabled or enabled + PXE in BIOS Setup?
  2. Is Secure Boot enabled or disabled in BIOS Setup?
  3. Is C States enabled or disabled in BIOS Setup?
  4. How is Deep Sleep set in BIOS Setup?
  5. How is Block Sleep set in BIOS Setup?
  6. How is Wake On LAN set in BIOS Setup?

April 28th, 2015 07:00

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to wake the PC up with an ethernet connection using the onboard NIC, I realise that WOL does not work on WIFI.

The Nic is an Intel 82579LM ethernet controller.

I have Windows 8.1 and have now installed the latest driver as found in the location you suggested.

Apologies I misunderstood, I have checked and no there is no link light on after the PC is shutdown - which I suppose points to what the problem is.

Further to your questions:

1) In the Bios, the Nic is set to enabled

2) Secure boot is enabled in bios

3) C states is enabled

4) Deep sleep is enabled in S4 and S5

5) block sleep is not enabled

6) Wake on lan is enabled for LAN only

Many thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 28th, 2015 11:00

So if the link LED is off after shutdown (I am assuming it's on when system is powered up), then there may be something amiss with one of your BIOS settings because the NIC should not be powered off during shutdown.

Can't say which BIOS setting needs to be changed, but I'd start by changing C states and see if that helps.

Meanwhile, I'll ping my Dell tech contacts to see what they recommend...

1.2K Posts

April 28th, 2015 21:00

I'm not at the machine to look at the BIOS setting name for the S4/S5 state, but that was non obvious on either my dell or another system, so try toggling that to the enable or disable.

I also had to enable a setting which was wake on a scheduled time, but then I didn't schedule a time to wake it. Again, I can't recall if it was the dell bios or another system so apologies if that setting doesn't exist.

Then there was a windows 8.1 setting, under Power Options-> Advanced Settings, -> Sleep, Allow wake timers -Setting Enable.

I use an android app wake on lan which broadcasts it via my wifi, and my router passes this broadcast.

Sounds like you know what you are doing, but are you sending the packet to the broadcast address of the ip subnet, with the hardware MAC address of the 8700's ethernet card?

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to suggest...

No Events found!