Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2011 00:00

wireless xps 8300

I just bought a xps 8300 with the wireless card. I have a question, first i know nothing about wireless cards, does this card broadcast a wireless signal?  The reason for asking is i would like to connect stuff like a xbox or a ps3 to it. Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 13th, 2011 04:00

Normally, wireless cards in a PC are for connecting to a wireless router.  The wireless router would connect to a broadband modem which would allow for Internet access and connection to other wireless (or wired) devices in a home network.  

I have no experience with gaming consoles and do not know how they are interfaced/connected.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 13th, 2011 07:00

The wireless cards inside the 8300 are not setup to SHARE the broadband like a Wireless Access Point.

There are USB Wireless cards that do this but its always better to use a Router otherwise your PC must be ON all the time and

has to do extra work sharing the internet on the wireless side.    Software Routers for wireless are risky and slow your machine down.

XBOX or PS3 can use Wired or Wireless or a mix aka you get a Game Bridge and a short wire to Attach.

The Wired side is built in to the XBOX and PS3.   Wireless seems to be Built in to PS3 but Not XBox but USB adapters can be added.   My PS3 does not like WPA2 encryption with AES so I use Wired via a Game Bridge rather than wireless internal card.  These Devices work with Anything that can plug into the wired side of your router.  Once Setup there are no passwords or other things to remember they just work.

Dell carries these now.

LINKSYS WET610N Wireless-N Dual-Band Video & Gaming ... - Dell

You +1'd this publicly.  Undo

The Linksys by Cisco WET610N Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band

Create a wired Ethernet-enabled device a part of your wireless network with WET610N Dual Band Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge from Linksys®. With dual-band Wireless-N, it works with any device supporting Wi-Fi standards, and is compatible with Wireless-G, -A, and –B. This bridge works on almost any platform and under any operating system. Moreover, the WET610N protects your data and privacy by encrypting all wireless transmissions with Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) security. Additionally, Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ helps make secure connections pushbutton simple. With all these features and more, the WET610N Bridge is ideal for wirelessly sharing music, photos, movies, and other files around the home.

Manufacturer Part# : WET610N
Dell Part# : A2553789

2 Posts

October 13th, 2011 09:00

My xbox can find a wireless signal, but cant connect to it. what kind of range can i get out of a wireless router, distance?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 13th, 2011 11:00

You should be able to cover an entire home with the router.

No Events found!